Mounting a CB [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Mounting a CB

strobelpd
02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Has anyone here mounted a CB? Where are you mounting them?

Marauder
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I have my mounted on an Arizona rocky road mount and love it. It's out of the way and also gives me places to mount my other electronics

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html

Bigjerm
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a midland and its mounted above the rear view mirror. Ill have to get some pictures of it but you take apart the interior plastic pieces around the wind shield to mount it and hide the wires. Looks really clean

strobelpd
02-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Send those pics in when you get a chance.

Pat

skibum
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I have a cobra 75 (all controls in the mic) and it's mounted in the center console. Takes up very little room. The mic is easily removable so that it can be hidden and not give some jerk a good excuse to cut through your top.

toadontheroad
02-13-2008, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=Marauder;11006]I have my mounted on an Arizona rocky road mount and love it. It's out of the way and also gives me places to mount my other electronics

Marauder,
It doesn't say in the website, but does the mount fit inside your hardtop? Is it in the way when removing or installing the tops?

Big A
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Marauder;11006]I have my mounted on an Arizona rocky road mount and love it. It's out of the way and also gives me places to mount my other electronics

Marauder,
It doesn't say in the website, but does the mount fit inside your hardtop? Is it in the way when removing or installing the tops?
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/GalaxyBlue1300/Smileys/2247302-plus1.gif

I would like to mount a full sized RCI 2950 or Galaxy up there.

Also, How stable is it on rough roads? Any bad vibrations?

John L
02-14-2008, 08:11 AM
I had a cobra 75 behind the glovebox, worked good, but I got the itch for a big radio so I now have a Uniden 68elite (tweaked and peaked) mounted on the left side of the center console next to the 4wd shifter. I thought it might get in the way, but it doesn't. You just can't scoot the seat all the way up now, but I don't care about that.

Marauder
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=toadontheroad;11053]
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/GalaxyBlue1300/Smileys/2247302-plus1.gif

I would like to mount a full sized RCI 2950 or Galaxy up there.

Also, How stable is it on rough roads? Any bad vibrations?

IT does not get in the way of the hartop or soft top when removing them or putting them up. It's very stable and does not rattle at all.

You can mount a fullsize radio as the bar runs from one side to the other and have pleanty of room to mount other stuff.

Big A
02-15-2008, 04:12 AM
[QUOTE=Big A;11055]

IT does not get in the way of the hartop or soft top when removing them or putting them up. It's very stable and does not rattle at all.

You can mount a fullsize radio as the bar runs from one side to the other and have pleanty of room to mount other stuff.
Could you take some good pictures so i can see your setup? The ones on that site are kinda cheesy.

Thanks!

b1pig
02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
center console. CB on one side. Ham radio on the other. used the big bolt on the console... added a couple or washers to level the mount up with the conole... and added a strip of velcro to keep it from spining.
http://www.geocities.com/b1pig/jk/DSC01021.JPG

HOTDAD
02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
You should hardwire all of that, i cant stand rats nests like that

strobelpd
02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
This just isn't my week. So I get my CB installed, just like you fine folks on here have in your pics, and I go to syncro everthing and the antenna stops adjusting on the meter. So if any of you CB guru's are out there, please tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I have a fire-stick (4' or 5') with 18' coax, Radio Shack (may be fried now) minni CB and a radio shack meter thing to adjust the SWR.

After I calibrated the radio, I went in to adjusting the SWR, got down around 1.5 and my buddy bumped something back there by the antenna and I was still keying the mic, shot the needle up past max and wouldn't adjust any more. Won't even register on the meter now. No cal, no swr, nothing. My radio still transmits but only for a block or two. I've ordered a compact Cobra, but I'm real hesitant about adjusting anything until I know what the hell I'm doing. So feel free to educate me when you get time.

Thanks.

John L
02-25-2008, 03:26 PM
This just isn't my week. So I get my CB installed, just like you fine folks on here have in your pics, and I go to syncro everthing and the antenna stops adjusting on the meter. So if any of you CB guru's are out there, please tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I have a fire-stick (4' or 5') with 18' coax, Radio Shack (may be fried now) minni CB and a radio shack meter thing to adjust the SWR.

After I calibrated the radio, I went in to adjusting the SWR, got down around 1.5 and my buddy bumped something back there by the antenna and I was still keying the mic, shot the needle up past max and wouldn't adjust any more. Won't even register on the meter now. No cal, no swr, nothing. My radio still transmits but only for a block or two. I've ordered a compact Cobra, but I'm real hesitant about adjusting anything until I know what the hell I'm doing. So feel free to educate me when you get time.

Thanks.

First off, do not transmit until the problem has been fixed. You'll fry the finals in the radio, or any other radio that you hook up.

If you have an ohm meter, check your continuity between the inner conductor (center post) and outer conductor (ground), it should read infinity or open. This is done on the PL-259 plug on the rdio end of the coax.

I suspect you have a dead short somewhere.

I would totally disassemble the antenna from the mount, the mount from the body, check everything carefully, and start over.

BTW, if your buddy was back at the antenna while you were checking SWR he was affecting your reading. SWR should be checked it a wide open area with the doors closed and everybody in the vehicle if you have friends with you. Anything close to the antenna will have an effect on it.

Also, with the firestick antennas, if you plan on running the rubber cap in normal operation, SWR must be checked with the cap on. I know it's a PITA, but it has a drastic effect on SWR. I put a touch of WD40 in the cap on mine while adjusting to help get it on and off. After I was done, I cleaned out the cap with soap and also cleaned the antenna mast so it would stay on.

If you have a hard top, you should check SWR after taking it off. Same with the soft top. Adjust accordingly and your radio will thank you:D

strobelpd
02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
First off, do not transmit until the problem has been fixed. :D

Very interesting and informative. Thanks, I'll look into this more now.

b1pig
03-11-2008, 09:03 AM
You should hardwire all of that, i cant stand rats nests like that

hardwire what?
2 cellphone chargers and a IPAQ charger? :shaking:

why not do a writeup on it...:laughing:

justajeep
04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Im not sure about everyone else, but Im thinking all your cb's and other add ons are going to short as soon as you get caught with your top off... My Tj never had a top on, if they didnt predict rain, ive been caught in flatout down pours and even had a litlte snow a couple of times and I cant see my stuff getting wet...

Any ideas on that? just trying to prevent unneeded replacement or repairs...

Bigjerm
04-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Im not sure about everyone else, but Im thinking all your cb's and other add ons are going to short as soon as you get caught with your top off... My Tj never had a top on, if they didnt predict rain, ive been caught in flatout down pours and even had a litlte snow a couple of times and I cant see my stuff getting wet...

Any ideas on that? just trying to prevent unneeded replacement or repairs...

I think ill just watch the Weather Channel... No problems yet with my CB

syrfire7
04-01-2008, 07:30 AM
No more than the stock or aftermarket audio would be affected by the same conditions. (top down rain, etc.)

John L
04-01-2008, 08:03 AM
top down+rain=excuse for upgrade.

mrsig
04-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Cobra 75 WX ST with K40 Whip Antenna. It is a great unit..
http://www.aaof.us/images/cb.jpg

http://www.aaof.us/images/cb1.jpg

http://www.aaof.us/images/cb2.jpg
See my Jeep in action @http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm