ABS, ESP, and Airbag Light [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: ABS, ESP, and Airbag Light

ecd655
03-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Has anyone else had issues with the abs, esp, and airbag lights coming on and staying on for no apparent reason? My personal JK and one of my customers has done this. Mine only did it once but his stayed on. The electronic system also shut down once on the highway for 2 seconds then came back on and ever JK owner I spoke to HAD THIS SAME ISSUE. Our jeep tech said that the computer was rebooting itself and this was common with the new 3.8L V6.

Living Still
03-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah this is a common problem, but it is also very fixable. You need to go to a Jeep Dealership and get your ECU reflashed. There are a bunch of service call codes for the TSBs on project-jk.com if they need specifics.

-Living Still

GoSCFightOn
03-19-2007, 04:18 AM
I am currently having problems with the electronic throttle control. First it comes on no problem. Just have to put it in park and turn off/on and it clears. Now it flashes and the engine runs rough and bogs down. Cannot even press the pedal. I am taking it to the dealer this morning will post findings later.:mad:

Has anyone else had issues with the abs, esp, and airbag lights coming on and staying on for no apparent reason? My personal JK and one of my customers has done this. Mine only did it once but his stayed on. The electronic system also shut down once on the highway for 2 seconds then came back on and ever JK owner I spoke to HAD THIS SAME ISSUE. Our jeep tech said that the computer was rebooting itself and this was common with the new 3.8L V6.

GoSCFightOn
03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
K....I had my JK towed back to the dealership on Monday. It is now Wednesday night and I last heard from my service advisor today saying that they were in contact with the manufacturer in correcting this problem. He had confirmed a problem with the ETC but could not provide the details. I passed on obtaining a loan vehicle at the moment because of gas prices here in CA. I am able to get by with my wife's truck, just in case you were wondering. I am hoping to have this corrected by the weekend because I am starting to go through withdrawls:eek:

Living Still
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Man that is a real bummer. I hope things work out for you and that the dealer is able to correct all the software problems. I would think a full reflash would do the trick, but maybe its more complexicated.

-Living Still

GoSCFightOn
03-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeh it is...I received a call today with an update and the advisor said that there is a whole "re-wire" taking place. I am glad this has been isolated and I am hoping for the best. You know, I can honestly say that this guy has been on top of it and a wee bit informative. He does not sound too involved with the products however he is a good listener and messenger. Although my situation is unfortunate, I am pleased with their efforts on making attempts to keep me posted. No completion time was given but I am crossing my fingers to pick it up on Friday before closing.

GoSCFightOn
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
OKAY! I went out to the dealership on Friday morning to check in and personally talk with my advisor. He explained to me that there was a fault code and the cpu was re-flashed. The reason why it took so long was that the maufacturer advised to open up the wiring loom to inspect for any shorts. I asked about the "re-wire" like he had explained the other day but added that he was misinformed or did not fully understand his tech (language barrier) and apologized. He stated that his tech mentioned that it may need to be re-wired and he automatically assumed that it was in progress. In short, the reason why it took all week was because they were down a couple of techs. One was out sick and the other on vacation. The work load has been very heavy and they have been limited on hands. Also, they claimed to have wanted to keep it a while to drive it around to test and make sure it did not re-occur. I picked up my JK later that afternoon and I must say, I am happy now:D
I would have posted this update Friday night but I was too excited getting er ready for a dirty fun weekend!

As indicated on my INVOICE
Techs Notes Summary: 89 performed star scan test found fault code P0221. Called Star Tech line....Checked inspected all wiring & connections-Reset light and road tested multiple times. Tested Ok.......***800 W4

GoSCFightOn
04-02-2007, 01:27 AM
:eek: Well its happening again! That darn light has lit a few times again and I have heard the idle/rpm's responding on its own so, something is happening there.
I am calling the dealership on Monday morning. I will post findings soon:(
Oh, I will introduce myself and give info on my first run in the welcome room.