JK kill switch [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK kill switch

Jeep-Power
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I will like to install a simple kill switch to deter any sort of thiefery. My wife's friend just had her F250 stolen out of her work parking lot and she will like to avoid something similar.

Before I dive into the dashboard, will someone please steer me in the best direction. The FSM hasn't arrived yet...

what I have in mind is a switch that will interrupt the ASD relay (does this thing have one??) or atleast the coil power, but will allow it to crank.

thanks!

CoolTech
02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
If you have an auto, you can put a SPST switch in the signal wire that lets the ECU know that the tranny is in Park or Neutral. With the switch in the Open position, the ECU will never let the car crank.

paragon
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
If you have an auto, you can put a SPST switch in the signal wire that lets the ECU know that the tranny is in Park or Neutral. With the switch in the Open position, the ECU will never let the car crank.

You can also do 2 switches in parallel. Make one a permanent SPST toggle or rocker switch that is very hidden and maybe difficult to get to. Make a second one that is a magnet controlled or even a membrane switch or the like, that you have to "activate" when you turn the key.

That way, the switches stays stealth and when you are running about town you can use the magnet switch to start. When you go to the dealer or wheeling or something, you can flip the hidden SPST toggle and have it crank without doing anything else and so that no one really knows about the other switch except you. Sort of a valet system for the switch.

Jeep-Power
02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
We have an auto. I like the NSS idea-- any idea which wire it is (color). I'm sure it will be near the gear shift.

Paragon-- I was thinking soomething alon the same lines-- just have to figure the logistics of placing the switches. Are those magnetic switches fairly common? We have an excellent electronics store near by--

paragon
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
We have an auto. I like the NSS idea-- any idea which wire it is (color). I'm sure it will be near the gear shift.

Paragon-- I was thinking soomething alon the same lines-- just have to figure the logistics of placing the switches. Are those magnetic switches fairly common? We have an excellent electronics store near by--

Just ask for some type of magnetic reed switch. Or google it and see what there are for options that would work.

Jeep-Power
02-10-2008, 02:38 PM
We were going over it today-- we are going to go with a toggle switch.

I am not going to look to work with the NSS-- the engie won't crank when that is utilized. I want the thing to crank but not start-- a cranking but not starting car always grabs attention.

I need to get some more info on the wiring of this thing-- has anyone seen a schematic of the ASD (automatic shut down) relay.

JeffreyDV
02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
You might be able to tap into the SKREEM wiring. When I had a problem with my remote start not sensing the SKREEM, it would start and immediately stall.

Jeep-Power
02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
You might be able to tap into the SKREEM wiring. When I had a problem with my remote start not sensing the SKREEM, it would start and immediately stall.

Jeffery-- please elaborate on the "SKREEM" stuff-- I'm still getting famaillr with the '91 OBD1 system :)

JeffreyDV
02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Jeffery-- please elaborate on the "SKREEM" stuff-- I'm still getting famaillr with the '91 OBD1 system :)

The JK's have transponder keys ( they wont start unless the correct key is in the ignition.) The SKREEM is part of that system. If you remove the palstic from around the steering column you will see a black plastic ring around where the key goes. A harness goes into that, if you disconnect it the Jeep won't start. I would think you could but a switch on one of those wires. I can e mail you a PDF file of my remote start instructions which shows this system and components.

Jeep-Power
02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Jeffery-- PM sent for the PDF!! -- thanks!

MichaelW
02-11-2008, 08:52 AM
It seems this would be easy if you just figure out what casues the stall bug, then just force the condition. They won't be able to get very far.:laughing:

Sorry couldn't resist.:shaking:

Jeep-Power
02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm with you Michael-- I'm sure there are atleast half a dozen circuts that will cause it to not fire when they are interrupted-- I just need to find out which ones they are! :idea:

LostCreek
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, or the evap cannister sensor... just put a switch on that, since it won't run if anything happens to the cannister. :shaking:

BeerMonkeY
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
why are you that worried about it with the sentry key? im guessing if someone can get around the senrty key they will figure out whatever you added in there

neoxxis
09-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Reviving an old thread...

If you people use "kill switches" you always have to remember to filp it off when you leave the Jeep...
Not user friendly.

I have an Active RFID switch, which consists of a wireless controller connected to some "vital" circuit in the Jeep.
I also have a key fob on my key ring.
When you get within range, configurable from 5' to 400', the circuit on the controller closes and you can start the engine.
When your key fob is not within range the engine will never start.

More practical than a switch IMO.

You install it and never think about it again. :)

jkx0778
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
man, guess i lucked out. mine came with one installed from the factory on my auto tranny unlimited X. started working after about 35k miles. mine is totally custom. you don't have to flip a swtich. it activates automatically. to turn on the heep, you have to push the shifter up and hold it there while turning the key :laughing:

either my parking sensor going out or it got loose and only makes contact when you hold the shifter forward in Park. :shaking:

neoxxis
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Hah, good one! These little gremlins make for great security devices... :)

N30EX
09-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a buddy that is a manager of auto claims at Allstate and says folks who know what they are doing can get around the transponder keys easy. I guess crooks just bring their own computer when they boost a car--with the Jeep and a non-locking hood it might be pretty easy. So, don't believe that the Jeep isn't something that can be stolen.

I have a kill switch on mine tied to the fuel pump. Cool thing is that there is enough fuel and pressure in the line to start the engine, but it runs rough. As soon as it goes into gear and the driver gives it gas, it dies. It acts like there's something mechanically wrong (which there is).

A thief isn't going to stick around to trouble-shoot....

-Randy

SONIC
09-20-2010, 09:23 AM
^ Thats what i was thinking. Sounds like a good route.