Hello all [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Hello all

AvalancheControl
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I plan on buying a JK Unlimited within a week or so. I joined this forum in the hopes of learning some things. I plan on getting a suspension lift and larger tires. But what I need to sort out is,is the Rubicon worth the extra dough or can I outfit an X (lockers, swaybar disconnect)for less money and still have the same offroad capabilities? This will be my second jeep I had a '79 CJ 7 that was lifted and 35 inch tires throughout high school till I was 21. I am looking forward to having a jeep again! And doing some offroading. Have a nice day all.

Bigjerm
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
welcome!

first off, what kind of wheeling are you planning to do? You may not need a Rubicon for what you want. I know several people (including me) with 35" tires on the stock D30 front that comes with the X and Sahara. Another $260 and you can have an auto locker for the front.

Anyways... you can buy front and rear Rubicon axles for aorund $3k i think and they include 4.10 gears and the lockers. You then of coarse have to wire them for the locker which usually means a Mopar Harness. No clue how the E disco cost. At that point your pretty much there except the Transfer case is diffrent so unless you want the same ratio you can leave it as is.

luigi0523
02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Welcome! from Golden, Colorado

Really depends on how you'll use it and what you expect from it. You said you're planning 35's and a lift so no advantage to a Rubi on that point. One difference is the Rubi will get you Dana 44's F & R and the X D30 F & D44 R. Lotsa folks get along fine with the D 30's up front when you keep the Right Foot under control. Some people can break anything. You'll probably regear with either one with 35's or larger. IMO I like the idea of manual disconnects rather then computer controlled electic one's.
I did a X with all the mods and bolted Rubi axle assemblies under it. I also decided that the Rubi 4:1 tranfer case gearing with auto was to low for some of the faster trails I run, and as such would be running out of gearing.

skibum
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I have an '07 Unlimited X and my goal is to build a Rubi on the cheap. Since a lot of the guys who will pony up the extra bucks for a Rubi then proceed to mod the living daylights out of it anyway, there are many lightly used Rubi parts available on Craigs List, Ebay, etc. So far, I have gotten wheels, tow hooks, and fog lights. I have a buddy who's going to give me his lockers as soon as he upgrades to OX lockers (don't know yet if they will work in my axles). And I have a line on a set of rockrails that are fairly inexpensive. I've even seen Rubi T-cases used.

either way you decide to go, you're gonna love the JK.

AvalancheControl
02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I actually want to go with 37 inch tires. skibum your right, I have seen lots of JK parts on the local Craigslist here in TX. Thanks for all the input this is a great forum.

1TallJKer
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Welcome from Reno, NV

I have the X 2dr and just love it. Eventually I'll do the lift, sway bar discos, lockers, etc. Glad I didn't spend the extra money on the Rubi, this way I can build it up how I want it and don't have to feel bad about changing parts out :D