Tipping over an oil tower with a JK [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Tipping over an oil tower with a JK

venom
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
OK so as most of you know, I'm a herpetologist.
Some guys sit around watch football, I like to go out in the middle of nowhere and catch rattlesnakes n stuff.
So I'm out on a 2700 acre ranch scrounging for diamondbacks yesterday, supposedly the place was crawling with them.
A long day of hiking and some pretty damn great rock crawling and general 4 wheeling and we've come up empty.
Finally get out to some old abandoned oil tanks, owner tells me the bottom is cone shaped with room underneath and they're always packed with rattlers.
Well how can I resist that!
Climb up and stand on top of the spare, throw a tow strap around a fitting at the top and uncover the winch, time to get a peek underneath that big tin can!
My cheapo Gorilla winch hasn't let me down yet, it never even changed sound as the front of the jeep hunkered and the tank started tilting!
Nobody home underneath except rats, but it was fun anyway.

Jeep School
07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Cool stuff! Definitely falls under the category of "Unusual ways to use your JK". :D

tkob1060
07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
thats pretty cool Venom :beer:

johnmcd
07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
:grinpimp:Happy Hunting on your next trip

rubirobv
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
:beer::beer::beer:...

yoda13
07-10-2009, 12:27 AM
that looks like fun, but man, I do not like snakes...nonetheless, props to you for messing with them, and liking it...:beer::beer::beer:

venom
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Went back for round 2 today
property owner saw the pics from before and asked why didn't we go ahead and knock 'em over and get rid of the snakey hiding place
2 of the silver tanks were considerably bigger than the red one pictured above
Soooo we went back and dropped all 6 tanks today and came up with a few critters this time.
A bunch of big rats, but one tank netted a couple of western diamondbacks - 1 big pregger female and a little guy I almost stepped on going after the big girl.
another tank netted a nice yellow 5' coachwhip coiled up with an emory ratsnake.
Here's a pic of the bucket, video from the tipping and catching is getting edited together right now so I'll post it in a few.
Also got to do some prett good wheeling, got a little vid of that coming too. :bounce:

Big A
07-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I am sure you already explained this, But...

What exactly do you do with the snakes? Are you some wild Texan acting like Crocodile Dundee? :thefinger:

I personally hate snakes, But that is because i don't want to learn about them.

I hear they taste like chicken! :laughing:

StubEXrube
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I think there are a few Texas rats that will be having a party tonight. :D

Beautiful markings. Looks like the rattlers recently shed. Can't believe the regional coloration variations of the coachwhips. The ones I've seen in Big Bend were almost red colored.

:beer:

venom
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
What exactly do you do with the snakes? Are you some wild Texan acting like Crocodile Dundee? :thefinger:

Umm actually I'm a professional herpetologist and have been specializing in working and researching venomous snakes for 20 years.
Acting like Crocodile Dundee is not quite the case. :thefinger:

I was removing these particular animals for the property owners and they will be shipped to a venom lab to be used for venom extraction. They use it for scientific/medical research and antivenom production.

venom
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I think there are a few Texas rats that will be having a party tonight. :D

Beautiful markings. Looks like the rattlers recently shed. Can't believe the regional coloration variations of the coachwhips. The ones I've seen in Big Bend were almost red colored.

I've caught some beautiful brick red coachies in big bend!
I went ahead and grabbed the emory and the coach to show the property owners the 'good' snakes around there

Big A
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Umm actually I'm a professional herpetologist and have been specializing in working and researching venomous snakes for 20 years.
Acting like Crocodile Dundee is not quite the case. :thefinger:

I was removing these particular animals for the property owners and they will be shipped to a venom lab to be used for venom extraction. They use it for scientific/medical research and antivenom production.
thanks for the explanation! keep up the greatg work! :beer:

RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR
07-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Mmmm... Those look tasty!! reminds me of back in the days of being a Snake Eater in the Army. Goes great with a nice cold :beer:!!!!

venom
07-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Video is up!
Using a Jeep and a winch to catch rattlesnakes on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/5724306)

Mr.RonGilbert
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Cool vid V!!

I will leave the snake handling up to you.....

I still have a strict "don't fawk with snakes and they wont fawk with you" policy

venom
07-22-2009, 11:16 PM
thanx Ron
my buddy shot the whole thing on his iphone 3GS!
of course he's a videographer by trade and does amazing stuff in post but the footage quality surprised me - especially for an overcast crappy day
it drizzled a bit during the last tower topple

a plumber
07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I gotta ask the question,

how many times have you been bit?

venom
07-23-2009, 02:35 AM
I gotta ask the question,

how many times have you been bit?

I've had one venomous bite, about 15 years ago
took a hit from a rattlesnake in the field
I screwed up and got nailed :bawling:

kelevra
07-23-2009, 07:27 AM
sounds like a cool job. wondered how the researchers got snakes for their work. i could never see too many scientists out wrangling snakes.
when i lived in the merritt bc area, semi desert climate, we did a lot of snake hunting. the only rattlers i have seen up close were ones that my grandfather 'caught' with his baler. (he made hay for a living)

toadontheroad
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
That is toatally cool, man! Dream job, little adrenalin rush, outdoors enjoying the raw nature, hiking, wheeling. Making money, too? Very cool.

gold knight
07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Got that right toader, Venom's pics and videos never disappoint:D Did the owner see the value of the "good" snakes after you showed him?

venom
07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Got that right toader, Venom's pics and videos never disappoint:D Did the owner see the value of the "good" snakes after you showed him?

thanks!

a little education goes along way, showing them which ones are dangerous and which aren't seemed to make them a little more at ease.
Out here, like most places, every snake is a rattlesnake and out to kill everyone it sees:shaking:
a little realization about rodents and crops and I think a few lights came on upstairs.

rage344
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
how does one fall into your line of work do you have a degree in snake bio or something??

venom
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I've always been interested in venomous, used to keep them privately then started working at a florida tourist trap doing reptile shows every day, fell in good with game and fish, ended up as one of the top handlers/researchers/field guys in the private sector so moving to a zoo wasnt that hard.
Guess they figured if I've been doing it this long and working with the hardcore fast aggro species and i'm still alive, then I must be pretty good at it ;)

BigO
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Pretty cool video venom. Beats the hell outta sitting behind a desk. Even enjoyed the sounds of my favorite band who was also from Texas. :smokin:

If I was in your line of work, this would be my personal dress code...

http://www.themiddleages.net/images/armor2.jpg

venom
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
LOL
actually i have one of those but mine was custom made and is a little more "reptilian" looking....
tough to move quick enough to grab a mamba wearing a couple hundred lbs of steel tho :D

Grant211
07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
argh - i thought the thread will have a oil tower tipped over, not leaning.

Anywho - great pics!

SDMF
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Why am I not surprised that you have a suit of armor?

gold knight
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
argh - i thought the thread will have a oil tower tipped over, not leaning.

Anywho - great pics!Grant, did you not watch the video?:mr-t: You can see tipping, falling and a bucket-o-snakes too.

Why am I not surprised that you have a suit of armor?My thoughts exactly, and lest we not forget, a picture handy for display:grinpimp:

Grant211
07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Grant, did you not watch the video?:mr-t: You can see tipping, falling and a bucket-o-snakes too.

My thoughts exactly, and lest we not forget, a picture handy for display:grinpimp:

Nope - website filtered at work:pissed:... I guess that explains it! I'll watch the video when i get home.

venom
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Grant - u see the vid yet?
6 towers go boom :smokin:

Those wide silver towers (#2&3 in the vid) were HUGE, look at the Jeep through the trees for size comparison during the third tower topple. :smokin:
Not sure how thick the steel was on them, but a 9mm with FMJ ball ammo barely puts a dent in it.
The next to the last tower by the house was the smallest one, but that house should still give you an idea of scale - and we tipped it without even denting the siding on the shack it was touching:D

Oh yeah, and for the record that's my cheapo Gorilla 12K winch wound with Gorilla 5/16" Synthetic rope ($99.99 on ebay) :thefinger:

venom
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
the bigger rattlesnake from the vid just dropped 10 babies a few nights ago :D

tried 9mm ball on one of the towers again - even overlapping shots won't punch through - .357 mag HP barely dented it

mikeyfl
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
you should have hopped in the jeep and pushed the tipped towers around in the field.

benmar2000
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
You can keep the snakes.. :eek: I wish you were here when my neighbor found a Timber Rattler and the 5 or so babies it had..

But I did enjoy the vid.. :beer:

Ray
09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I love catching snakes also too bad you live so far away !!! 4' Black Racer.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/rayzj/blackracer.jpg

shamsheer
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
on my first tour in iraq i was sleeping in a hammock at a water treatment plant along the tigris river in mosul. i got up for guard duty and grabbed my boot. as a boy growing up in the woods, i learned long ago to check your boots before putting them on. im glad i did. one of my boots became the home of a baby saw-scaled viper that night and fell out when i knocked my boots upside down. i layed my boot on its side and was able to get my new friend back into the boot with a stick. i covered the top of my boot with a note book. i took him to the far side of the compound where there were some tall grass and shrubs and people didnt go and let him go. hopefully he got to work eating all the mice we had there. my buddies thought i should have killed it but i figured he just wanted a safe place to sleep while stuck in iraq and i could relate.

StubEXrube
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
on my first tour in iraq i was sleeping in a hammock at a water treatment plant along the tigris river in mosul. i got up for guard duty and grabbed my boot. as a boy growing up in the woods, i learned long ago to check your boots before putting them on. im glad i did. one of my boots became the home of a baby softscale viper that night and fell out when i knocked my boots upside down. i layed my boot on its side and was able to get my new friend back into the boot with a stick. i covered the top of my boot with a note book. i took him to the far side of the compound where there were some tall grass and scrubs and people didnt go and let him go. hopefully he got to work eating all the mice we had there. my buddies thought i should have killed it but i figured he just wanted a safe place to sleep while stuck in iraq and i could relate.

Very cool story, and glad you didn't introduce that guy to your big toe :D. Thanks for serving....Much respect for what you all are doing, and to the vets that have served.

:usa::beer::usa::beer::usa:

shamsheer
12-13-2009, 10:38 PM
after i came home i looked into the snake alittle more one web site said:The fiery little saw-scale is blamed for more deaths annually than any other species in the world. The bite of this snake has been known to cause massive internal hemorrhaging and bleeding from all bodily orifices (not a snake to mess around with). im glad i saw him when i did.

heres a pic of one its not the one that i found but looks just like him size and all

venom
12-14-2009, 06:41 AM
First off, Thanks for serving!
and Good job man!
Glad ya took the high road.
sawscales are one of my favorite vipers, bred a bunch of the snappy little buggers!
babies come out TINY!
Usually have to feed them half grown crickets for the first few months

RRCP08JK
12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I live up against the Cleveland Forest and get on average a rattler a year in the yard. I do worry about my pets and considered getting the anti-venom shots for them (do they work??).

Last summer, I was picking weeds in one of the planters out back. We have brown wood bark in them and was a foot away from a sleeping rattler -- scared the sh!t out of me and he blended right in. Got my hockey stick out of the garage and nudged the little critter off. This one must have hard a hard night before because it took quit a few nudges to awaken this one. Ended up being 4'-5' as it slithered away.:)

venom
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I've worked with a lot of the emergency vets around here and the general consensus was that the vaccines actually do make a difference.

Dogs are naturally very resistant to snake venom anyway, but most bites happen around the face - dogs stick their noses into everything. Generally unless its a small dog or a really big snake its not too likely to be fatal anyway but statistically, the vaccine really seems to help.

Interesting factoid....
A big portion of the rattlesnakes that were milked to do the research and create the original Fort Dodge vaccines were collected in the Abilene area by myself and 2 of my colleages :)

TheBeatenPath
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I've worked with a lot of the emergency vets around here and the general consensus was that the vaccines actually do make a difference.

Dogs are naturally very resistant to snake venom anyway, but most bites happen around the face - dogs stick their noses into everything. Generally unless its a small dog or a really big snake its not too likely to be fatal anyway but statistically, the vaccine really seems to help.

Interesting factoid....
A big portion of the rattlesnakes that were milked to do the research and create the original Fort Dodge vaccines were collected in the Abilene area by myself and 2 of my colleages :)

i dont know how you do it dude i coudnt grab a rattler it jsut doesnt seem smart to me:laughing::D.

venom
12-21-2009, 08:00 AM
i dont know how you do it dude i coudnt grab a rattler it jsut doesnt seem smart to me:laughing::D.

Eh, just stay away from the pointy parts.

its a good thing there are people like me though, there is a LOT of medical research and some pretty amazing breakthroughs coming from venom and since its one of the most complex naturally occurring enzymes there is, we cant make it in a lab. Still gotta get it straight from the source.

Scooter Scott
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Truly a fantastic thread! :)

venom
03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
finally starting to warm up out here - time for some wheeling and to get out and start doing some snaking - so I dug up this thread for inspiration
hard to believe this was over a year and a half ago!

StubEXrube
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
finally starting to warm up out here - time for some wheeling and to get out and start doing some snaking - so I dug up this thread for inspiration
hard to believe this was over a year and a half ago!

At this point, if I make BB.....I just want to search for critters. Catch, photograph, and release. Or at least photograph......although I would really appreciate the opportunity to grab and hold a good sized Diamondback.

venom
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
out there we have possibilities for some stuff a little cooler than a plain old diamondback :smokin:
blacktails, mojaves, maybe even a rock rattler would be awesome!

planning on lots of photography - heck I'm almost as crazy for inverts and everything else as herps

venom
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
went back out to the site from the video awhile back, I had forgotten how big the silver towers were!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/_Venom_/jeeptower.jpg?t=1299125920

TheBeatenPath
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
wow a yr and a half ago. times flying guys.

now that i look at this you have a pretty awesome job.

StubEXrube
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Well count me IN!

What about the possibility of finding a mottled rock rattler, prairie rattler, desert massasauga, or trans-pecos copperhead (?).

They say there are 10-11 species of scorpions out there as well IIRC. :smokin:

desert dog
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
HAHA, I demo oilfield tanks as part of my business. We always find rattlers under them. Seems like every time I buy large lots of oilfield pipe, they get to my yard full of them too. Cool pics

venom
03-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Well count me IN!

What about the possibility of finding a mottled rock rattler, prairie rattler, desert massasauga, or trans-pecos copperhead (?).

They say there are 10-11 species of scorpions out there as well IIRC. :smokin:

mottled will be the hardest, but also my favorite!
theyre going to be up in the mountains
trans pecos is a maybe, but more likely to be a broad banded if we find any coppers
prairie is a definite possibility
desert massy, extremely unlikely - theyre extreme southern tx and very rare down there.

scorps are always a blast, bring a hand held black light if you have one - makes them EASY to find at night, flip a rock, shine the black light and look for them to glow.
Last time I was out there, I found quite a few solfugids (windscorpions)

StubEXrube
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
mottled will be the hardest, but also my favorite!
theyre going to be up in the mountains
trans pecos is a maybe, but more likely to be a broad banded if we find any coppers
prairie is a definite possibility
desert massy, extremely unlikely - theyre extreme southern tx and very rare down there.

scorps are always a blast, bring a hand held black light if you have one - makes them EASY to find at night, flip a rock, shine the black light and look for them to glow.
Last time I was out there, I found quite a few solfugids (windscorpions)

Man....that's great information. :beer: (It's going to be like going to tittie bar with Charlie Sheen......kinda). :)

So.....are wind-scorpions non venomous?.....or am I thinking of whip-tail scorpions?

I'll definitely put a black-light on my list of things to bring.

venom
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
theyre both non venomous
whipscorpions or vinagaroons look like a scorpion but with a little wiry thin tail and they spray acetic acid - vinegar
windscorpions or solfugids or camel spiders are the crazy ant x spider x scorpion looking deals that someone posted a picture of 2 bit onto eachother from iraq and the picture made it look like it was 2 feet long - went all over the net and everyone was freaking out and saying how dangerous they were. actually even the giant species are only a couple of inches long and arent venomous - but they pinch like a mother!

http://redwineexotics.com/Solfugid_9-22-02-1_lg.jpg

cruzcode
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Three things came out of me reading this thread:

1) I appreciate all of you vets that served. Thank you very much!

2) I fucking hate snakes.

3) I'm not sleeping well tonight.

RC

StubEXrube
03-02-2011, 10:19 PM

RC

*Note to self. Rick would prefer I send him a box full of scorpions, rather than snakes. Got it. :)

wranglerblackout08
03-03-2011, 03:25 AM
theyre both non venomous
whipscorpions or vinagaroons look like a scorpion but with a little wiry thin tail and they spray acetic acid - vinegar
windscorpions or solfugids or camel spiders are the crazy ant x spider x scorpion looking deals that someone posted a picture of 2 bit onto eachother from iraq and the picture made it look like it was 2 feet long - went all over the net and everyone was freaking out and saying how dangerous they were. actually even the giant species are only a couple of inches long and arent venomous - but they pinch like a mother!

These camel spiders look so weird! I'd love to hold one but it would probably bite the crap out of you!

bluerubicon08
03-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Growing up on a farm in Virginia we had your run-o-the-mill Black snakes, and Copperheads. Not too many rattlers until you get up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. My Dad is petrified by snakes, tho he won't admit to it. He always said the only good snake is a dead one. I remember one night I awoke to hear our golden retriever barking his head off in the basement. Turned out there were 3 black snakes there between 5-7' long. Dad went down the steps and unloaded his 12 gauge on them right inside the house!!! After that I started catching them when ever I could and then releasing them away from the house. I always figured they were good at keeping down the rat population, and I had always heard they will keep away the copperheads. I gotta say tho, if I see a venomous snake, I eliminate it. I would have no idea where to take it for venom collection like you do

venom
03-03-2011, 08:21 PM

RC

then you'll LOVE this! :laughing:

deworming/removing a stuck eyecap on a king cobra on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/5724434)

RoachJeep
03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
then you'll LOVE this! :laughing:

deworming/removing a stuck eyecap on a king cobra on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/5724434)

That is a large amount of badassery.

I love snakes, just don't like handling them anymore. Worked at a pet store in the Dallas area that had a decent reptile section. All I can say is carpet pythons have bad attitudes and like to bite and customers don't believe that until you show them.

Are you able to get people into the zoo later in the evening when the snakes are more active or maybe during feeding time?

spillidge
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Holy shitballs.....

That movie blew my mind. crazy dude just crazy :shaking:

wranglerblackout08
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Do you actually handles these snakes? Maybe i'm crazy, but I think snakes are fascinating.

2010jk
03-05-2011, 01:06 AM
O!!!! MY !!! GOD!!!!. :bounce: thats all I have to say.:beer:

Zack Massey
03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Dude that video is bad ass! Still gets me every time I watch it

wranglerblackout08
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Holy King Cobra! I would be my pants if I were in the same room as that thing!

fishnbones
03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Woah, you have the coolest job ever!

And I think I have seen one of these guys out in the Socal desert.
Scary.

theyre both non venomous