Bought my 1st gun yesterday [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bought my 1st gun yesterday

FUN LS1
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Still doing that 10 day waiting period but pretty excited.

Dual purpose: plinking targets in the desert and keeping the right person behind the wheel of my Jeep.

Springfield Armory 4" 9mm.

http://www.kiffneys.com/XD9101HCSP06.jpg

Ogie
07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Congratulations. I never shot one of those, but it looks nice.

Now, do the right thing and join the NRA.

FUN LS1
07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Congratulations. I never shot one of those, but it looks nice.

Now, do the right thing and join the NRA.
What website do you think I'm on? :)

I dig it. I'm used to the guns we fired in the Navy - they were too skinny. This firearm fits in my hand perfectly, is super beefy, and has a great solid feeling.

Mikey's Rubi
07-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Sweet. I have had/have several Springfields (XD's and XDm's)...love em. I have converted a few glock loyalists to SA as well.

Why didn't you go for the XDM?

thebigtman
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
That's a nice pistol. I have a springfield xd40 and I'm really happy with that one too. You'll like it.

SDMF
07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Sweet. I have had/have several Springfields (XD's and XDm's)...love em. I have converted a few glock loyalists to SA as well.

Why didn't you go for the XDM?

Because none of the XDm's are on the CA DOJ approved handgun list. :shaking:

Mikey's Rubi
07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah, that must suck :shaking: I guess 19 + 1 capacity is too much then huh?

What kind of shotgun capacity can you have? I am 7 + 1 in my benelli; is that legal is CA?

SDMF
07-02-2009, 10:50 AM

What kind of shotgun capacity can you have? I am 7 + 1 in my benelli; is that legal is CA?

Even the lower capacity isn't approved here. It's hard to get new guns approved here, and they keep making it harder and harder.

I am not sure about the shotgun, as far as I know, anything over 10 rounds in any gun is illegal. (unless you owned it here before the ban.)

Big A
07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Congrats on the XD!

I love my XD40SC for CCW.

After reading more about this gun crap in Kali, I am glad to not live there anymore..
Another reason Kalifornia SUCKS! :shaking:

Mikey's Rubi
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I think it is probably proof that stricter gun laws don't always make sense.

So, when you get your XD Fun LS1, where can you shoot it? What kind of ammo can you buy for it?

FUN LS1
07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I think it is probably proof that stricter gun laws don't always make sense.

So, when you get your XD Fun LS1, where can you shoot it? What kind of ammo can you buy for it?

There is a range within 10 minutes from my house or I can fire it in any desert not manned by the Park Service or the BLM. Ammo can be anything the stores sell, I plan on going through a lot of my officer friend's practice rounds.

Ogie
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
There is a range within 10 minutes from my house or I can fire it in any desert not manned by the Park Service or the BLM. Ammo can be anything the stores sell, I plan on going through a lot of my officer friend's practice rounds.

Got a shotgun? Let's shoot some trap at Prado.

Or let's get a JKO shootout going at Hodge Road. :mr-t:

Mr.RonGilbert
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice! Get some rounds down range!

Riverkid
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Got a shotgun? Let's shoot some trap at Prado.

Or let's get a JKO shootout going at Hodge Road. :mr-t:

Anytime you guys hit Prado, let me know!!!:smokin:

OneCav
07-08-2009, 08:07 AM

California is a s***hole. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful state and all that, but it's a liberal s***hole.

CLACKEY(_!_)
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Anytime you guys hit Prado, let me know!!!:smokin:

Me TOO!!!!! I'm down with Prado. I can't hit the side of a barn but I'll try :grinpimp:

Better yet. Perhaps we should be planning a future Pheasant hunt (glorified easter egg hunt) at Raahaugees (http://www.raahauges.com/)

FUN LS1
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Me TOO!!!!! I'm down with Prado. I can't hit the side of a barn but I'll try :grinpimp:

Better yet. Perhaps we should be planning a future Pheasant hunt (glorified easter egg hunt) at Raahaugees (http://www.raahauges.com/)

Targets are fun but I'm not a hunter. Funny how I'm more comfortable with the thought of taking someone out of the human race than I am an animal.

SDMF
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I have no problem killing an animal as long as it is going to be eaten. I have bagged my share of deer, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys and ducks. mmmmm animals, tasty tasty animals.

FUN LS1
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I have no problem killing an animal as long as it is going to be eaten. I have bagged my share of deer, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys and ducks. mmmmm animals, tasty tasty animals.

HAHA don't get me wrong - I'm a born carnivore.

ccdjeep
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Just pull up stakes and move within old Mason-Dixon territory. You still see a few folks around here with their shotguns in the back window of their trucks.

The XD is a nice piece. I checked them out before I bought my 9mm. I didn't really care for the size of the XD(M) which was the one I was going for for the 19+1. But then I looked at the label, and man its made in Croatia. I didn't care for that, badged over Springfield or not I didn't like it.

So I went with the full-size Smith&Wesson M&P 9mm. 17+1. I am a S&W junkie anyway, also have a 642 Airweight 38SPL+P. Great firearms and made in the USA, which is something I look at more and more now.

Happy shooting, and I hope you join the NRA!!!

Riverkid
07-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Anytime Clint!:smokin:

SDMF
07-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Anytime Clint!:smokin:

Me too, lets set something up.

Mikey's Rubi
07-09-2009, 08:21 AM
The XD is a nice piece. I checked them out before I bought my 9mm. I didn't really care for the size of the XD(M) which was the one I was going for for the 19+1. But then I looked at the label, and man its made in Croatia. I didn't care for that, badged over Springfield or not I didn't like it.

It's find of like Ford and Chevy. They say made in America but they are assembled in Mexico or Canada :) Springfield is based in Illinois and when you call them or email them you get an answer in English from a person in the US. That is all I need!! :beer:

So I went with the full-size Smith&Wesson M&P 9mm. 17+1. I am a S&W junkie anyway, also have a 642 Airweight 38SPL+P. Great firearms and made in the USA, which is something I look at more and more now.

Great choices. I like my 642 especially now with the crimson trace on it. I always thought the M&P 9 and XDM 9 were very similar (interchangeable grips, high capacity and so on).

Riverkid
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Me too, lets set something up.

Taking the rifles out this Saturday to get some scopes sighted in - I say we play with the shotguns next... Let me know, that's close to home for us BFE types.:grinpimp::beer:

ccdjeep
07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mikey's Rubi;154302]It's find of like Ford and Chevy. They say made in America but they are assembled in Mexico or Canada :) Springfield is based in Illinois and when you call them or email them you get an answer in English from a person in the US. That is all I need!! :beer:

True that, I'm not knockin the XD or Springfield, pretty good guns to get NRA ...Marksman (i think) award in 2 categories.

As for Ford versus Chevy. I am a big time Chevy fan, always used to totally hate Fords. This last year I've paid attention and GM like it or not is trailing, but Ford has really up'd their game!!s...and they didn't take bailout money, might as well call GM Governmental Motor Corp.

I think Chrysler will go the way of the dodo and sell off Jeep to the highest bidder in the end game.