Thoughts on Clayton lift [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Thoughts on Clayton lift

Ipe
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi folks, I'm in the planning stages for my lift. I thought I had settled on the Full Traction Ultimate with Poly Performance shocks, but then I came across this post by Red Rock 4x4 in the Vendors forum:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/gallery/files/7/4/9/clayton_jk.jpg

2007 JK 4.5” lift suspension system with 37x13.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT’s on Walker Evans rims

Clayton Off Road’s JK suspension lift systems are designed to give a smooth ride both on and off road while maintaining excellent handling characteristics. Our 3.5” system is designed to let you run a 35” tire and our 4.5” system is designed to run a 37” tire. These are complete bolt on systems and can be installed using basic shop tools. Our systems include eight adjustable control arms, which carry a lifetime, no questions asked warranty against bending or breaking. The lower front and rear upper arms are dog legged for tire clearance. All of arms feature either Currie Johnny Joints or Clevite mechanically bonded rubber bushings. An adjustable front track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket are used with our systems. An optional adjustable rear track bar is available for use with the rear track bar relocation bracket for fine-tuning the rear track or to allow pinion angle adjustments when using a CV style drive shaft. JKS front sway bar disconnects, rear extended sway bar links, front and rear bump stops, front and rear extended brake lines, and 3.5” or 4.5” coils springs are supplied to complete our lift suspension systems. Shocks are sold separately and Bilstein 5100 shocks are offered as an option with our systems.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/gallery/files/7/4/9/PD-JK35.jpg

It looks like the Clayton 3.5" with Bilsteins would be roughly $80 more than the Full Traction Ultimate 3"/Poly combo. Not enough money to make a difference. So here is my question, why would I want to go with my original Full Traction Ultimate plan vs. the Clayton? Is there something about the Clayton that makes it inferior to the FTU? Given these two lifts as your choices which would you choose?

Ipe
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Here is a link to it on the "other forum :shaking:" (http://jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26805)

The original post: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123

JR
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
My experience with Clayton's has been purely XJ related, but in my experience their products and customer service are of upmost top quality.

I would consider it a safe assumption that you could expect the same quality in the JK line.

Also, other than the JKS disco's and the square tubing they like to use in their links, it looks very similar to our 4" Tuff Country lift kit on our red Unlimited.

What's the pricetag on the claytons? The TC 4" lift with shocks and all options except for the drivelines comes in at $1830 shipped. $1700 without, and $2690 with drivelines and shocks. We're running that with 37's

Alec W
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
No real world experience other than looking at Alan’s FT Ultimate lift, looking at the parts list and picture you posted and my own Poly Perfomance lift.

My 2 cents:

Johnny joints on the control arms are nice for adjusting caster/pinion.

The rear track bar relocation bracket is good and I don’t’ think the FT kit had one. Having said that it looks like it may bolt onto the existing bracket vs. both clamping to the axle and bolting to the existing bracket like the poly bracket does. You may want to check into that because the stock brackets are known to fail at the weld. The Poly bracket is much more substantial.

You’re going to toss the sway bar disco’s on either kit and use the rear ones on the front since you have a Rubicon.

Extended break lines vs. none with FT is nice. Although from looking at the picture they don’t look like braided steel, I can't really tell but it looks like it.

You know my opinion on lifts. Bite the bullet and go with Poly Performance. You really do get what you pay for IMHO :smokin:

JR
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I do prefer the frame end rear trackbar bracket, like what was in our TC lift.

Extended break lines vs. none with FT is nice. Although from looking at the picture they don’t look like braided steel, I can't really tell but it looks like it.

They are braided stainless steel, but have a coating over them that is red.

"DOT approved stainless braid with a teflon inner layer and kevlar braid. UV outer protection 1-piece ends."

Ipe
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Alec, I'd love to go Poly Stage III, but thats about $800 more than I can swing right now, and thats with the Poly shocks. , not the fancy stuff like you've got. :laughing: ;) This or FT seem to be the closest I can get to Poly at a reasonable $$$ amount.

I'll check with them about how the RR track bar bracket attaches. Thanks for the heads up. :beer:

JR
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
If the Clayton attachment for the rear trackbar ends up being less than desirable, you could probably get clayton to remove it from the kit, cause I think poly sells theirs separately.

I don't know what that would do as far as the pricetag and you're budget.

PIG
02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Alec, I'd love to go Poly Stage III, but thats about $800 more than I can swing right now, and thats with the Poly shocks. , not the fancy stuff like you've got. :laughing: ;) This or FT seem to be the closest I can get to Poly at a reasonable $$$ amount.

I'll check with them about how the RR track bar bracket attaches. Thanks for the heads up. :beer:

$800.00 difference........ What kits are you comparing....? If you compare component to component we should be competitive.

Ruskin
02-03-2008, 07:35 AM
(updated 2/9 w/Poly price correction - Stage1 includes F adj trackbar)

I've always found it easier to talk with actual numbers. Here's what I've pulled from posts/web sites. PM me with any corrections.

I tried to standardize the lift options, so I selected the basic shock options, front and rear adjustable trackbars and front quick disconnects.

-----------------------------------------------------
Clayton Lift (3.5 or 4.5) = $1,899 w/extras=$2,408
+ Extras $509 (Shocks $320, Rear adj trackbar $189)

----------------------------------------------------
Poly (3"-4.5")
Poly Stage 1 = $1,930 w/extras=$2,600
Poly Stage 2 = $1,985 w/extras=$2,655
Poly Stage 3 = $2,560 w/extras=$3,230
+ Extras $870 (Quick Disco $70, shocks $400, R adj track bar $200)
----------------------------------------------------

There are engineering differences, but I'll let someone more technical tackle that comparison.

jeepik
02-03-2008, 11:39 AM
im personally going to get clayton's lower arms, for their beefiness, and the upper arms will be from poly, having the ability to adjust arms without removing them is an ingenious design

PhilD
02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
im personally going to get clayton's lower arms, for their beefiness, and the upper arms will be from poly, having the ability to adjust arms without removing them is an ingenious designYou won't believe how something so simple makes life so much easier when it comes to dialing everything in.

I have the Poly upper arms, and the RockRunner lowers (because i already had them), but i would have no hesitation in using the Poly lowers and had I not already had the RR ones, would have gone with them.

crusty1007
02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
im personally going to get clayton's lower arms, for their beefiness, and the upper arms will be from poly, having the ability to adjust arms without removing them is an ingenious design

sounds like a Square tube VS. Round debate.

Im partial to round tube.

PIG
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Anyone know if Clayton uses DOM or HREW square material...?

jeepik
02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
sounds like a Square tube VS. Round debate.

Im partial to round tube.

its not a debate, those clayton arms are pure beef

ask Clayton how many arms have EVER been broken or bent :) (hint: NONE)