Alloy USA Gears [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Alloy USA Gears

extrication
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I heard this AM that Alloy USA is planning to start selling JK gears by early March. This came from a dealer, not Alloy. Anybody have additional info?

PIG
02-01-2008, 07:20 AM
I heard this AM that Alloy USA is planning to start selling JK gears by early March. This came from a dealer, not Alloy. Anybody have additional info?

They told us that they were doing gears several months ago. They are the only ones I know of that are doing 5.38's for the Rubi 44's...... BTW.

RotorHead
02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Sign me up. This is what I've been waiting for. How do Alloy USA's gears hold up to the competition?

Mini-me
02-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Sign me up. This is what I've been waiting for. How do Alloy USA's gears hold up to the competition?

A year ago I was going considering Alloy USA's chromoly axle shafts for my TJ. After a few call to Alloy and Superior I decided to go with Superior for the simply fact that Superior's components are designed, forged and machined in the US. Alloys are designed in the US but made in China. It is nothing personal against China and it people but if we keep farming work out overseas because of a lower labor rate. We will not have any work to provide the US worker. My two cents...

extrication
02-01-2008, 11:38 PM
A year ago I was going considering Alloy USA's chromoly axle shafts for my TJ. After a few call to Alloy and Superior I decided to go with Superior for the simply fact that Superior's components are designed, forged and machined in the US. Alloys are designed in the US but made in China. It is nothing personal against China and it people but if we keep farming work out overseas because of a lower labor rate. We will not have any work to provide the US worker. My two cents...

Here's what I've be told to date. The superior gears that were cut incorrectly came from China. After the problem became apparent, changes were made to later runs to correct the problem.
The Alloy USA gears are being produced in India by a Toyota contract manufacturer. I'm trying confirm this and shipping dates.
Because I've already dealt with many early run manufacturing issues with Chrysler and after markets suppliers, I will not use the Superior product. Before I use the Alloy USA product, there will need to be an explicit guarantee for parts and labor to correct any manufacturing issues. I hate being suspicious but I've been burned too many times with this Jeep. I can't remember having more problems with Jeeps or any other vehicle.
Also, I completely agree with Mini-me. I'd prefer to pay more for quality American made products. We're saving nickels by sending our manufacturing offshore but will eventually spend dollars to correct the social issues it's creating. Lou Dobbs for President:usa:

GOAT1
02-02-2008, 10:48 AM

I believe most of the Alloy USA parts are made in India. Not all of the Superior parts are made in the USA. If your are not buying a Spicer, Richmond or Precision R&P, chances are they are not from the USA. Many brands buy the same gears from over seas, put it in their box and call it their own. There is no definate ETA on the 5.38 gears, I bet it will be at least 6 months.