Could a 4dr Tow this? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Could a 4dr Tow this?

Bigjerm
01-31-2008, 06:48 AM
So one of my co-workers wants a Jeep. Its really a vehicle for both her and her husband because he drives a company truck everywhere else. Their only requirement is for it to pull a boat. So assuming they get the Sahara with tow package, 4dr, leave it fairly stock (no lift), add a trailer brake controller and aux. tranny cooler, could they tow this boat?

http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2708

Boat has a weight of 3100 lbs I believe. Also, if they didnt have the aux cooler or brake controller is it possible?

Bigjerm
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
now she is telling me her Husband wants a Rubicon, atleast they get better gears and he wants to do a little more off roading than she wants to.

igofshn
01-31-2008, 08:45 AM
The hull by it self is 3100 lbs. The jk is only rated at 3500. Add the motor and the trailer and you are way over the limit.

Bigjerm
01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
The hull by it self is 3100 lbs. The jk is only rated at 3500. Add the motor and the trailer and you are way over the limit.

thats what i thought too but i figured some people might be towing past the manf. "safe zone" tow limit and wanted know any info on it. I told her from the get go, its probably unlikely the JK will tow the boat and driving it would be damn near scary. I mean the boat, trailer, motor, gear, will weigh more than the Jeep!

paragon
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
a vehicle's tow rate is not as hard and fast as some make them out to be. EVERYTHING has to be taken into account. Tow ratings are given for vehicles with their maximum vehicle payloads included in the average worse conditions. So, if you have the JK loaded to the max, the manufacturer rates the towing at 3500lbs.

With that said, the JK is not designed as a tow vehicle. The margin for error on the tow rating is much smaller than on other vehicles designed for towing.

With that boat/motor combo fueled up, the weight is over 4K lbs. That's with no gear in the boat and NO TRAILER. I think it's way too much boat for a JK unless you are just going to move it around the parking lot or something.

gcg
01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Another consideration is legal liability should they be involved in an accident while towing "over the limit". I imagine this varies from state to state but I've read of accounts where someone was towing over the limit, was involved in an accident and was charged since the vehicle was considered "unsafe". Before deciding to tow over the limit, I'd suggest checking on legal liabilities.

Bigjerm
01-31-2008, 11:12 AM
well i told her that the weight is just to much. I also asked why her husband just doesnt tow the boat with his company F250 (he owns the company!) and she uses the Jeep?

I could see the wheels turning... just wait till it gets a little warm and i put the top down in my jeep. She will end up with one

RotorHead
01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd pull it. How 'bout you tell him to let me borrow the boat one weekend when it warms up. :beer:

NE Wrangling
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I pull a 20' mastercraft with an inboard no problem. I can see that this is a bigger boat from the sidewalls so the extra weight makes sense. I have e-brakes on mine and It does struggle on long highway hills but overall I do it anyways. I towed from Mass to bath, me and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

RotorHead
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Heck, I'll tow anything... :shaking:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/P1010188.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/Camper/DSC02229.jpg

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/P4210200.JPG

skibum
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Tow my pop-up with mine all the time (1200 lbs. plus gear) and I also used to tow my construction trailer which weighs (god only knows,,,,but its heavy). Jeep doesn't like the hills and leave yourself plenty of braking room but so far so good.

WRANGLERV8
02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
not to flame,but how about the first suggestion be to buy something other than a Bass Pro Shop Mako.anyhow,if they don't plan on going on long trips(75-100+ miles)then I would say it would be ok.

Bigjerm
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
not to flame,but how about the first suggestion be to buy something other than a Bass Pro Shop Mako.anyhow,if they don't plan on going on long trips(75-100+ miles)then I would say it would be ok.

well they already have the boat so thats the problem. As far as distance... she says they have towed up to 8 hours away from weekend get aways with the boat

strobelpd
02-07-2008, 06:46 AM
I'll be hauling a 2900 lb outboard boat from Colorado to MD in a few months. I'll let you know how it goes.

Pat