JK X rocks HardRock [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK X rocks HardRock

Ruskin
01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
For those of you not familiar with HardRock it's an offroad park near Ocala, FL. Not a big place, but you can spend the day driving steep hills and playing around in old rock quarry pits (good by FL standards).

Took the X up there this weekend and it rocked everything!:bounce: Point and shoot style. A little recent rain added to the fun.

Everytime I take this thing out, I push it harder and it just laughs at me like I'm not challenging it. I've got some film footage and will post a link when I get it edited.

So here's a scary story. Last hill climb of the day (also the longest & steepest hill) I had almost crested the top when something happend... not sure how, but I ended up cluch in, brake on and sliding backwards on the slick hillside. With no steering I ended up perpendicular to the slope half way up the hill and afraid I was going to start rolling:shocked: So, I threw it in 1st gear and gassed it to point down hill. Well it did what I wanted and we drove off that hill. Later we laughed that it was the movie style 180 manuever - driving in reverse, slide and peel out in 1st - but it scared the crap out of us and we're just real lucky:shaking:

Love this jeep

1TallJKer
01-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Can't wait to see the vid. Did anyone catch the turn on camera?

Marauder
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Been wheeling at hard rock many times ;) like you said not big but fun for a day if you don't mine some steep ass hills.

And i bet i know what hill your talking about as it has gotten a couple people.

MichaelW
01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds high on the pucker factor. Pics? Vid? x2.

nam6869usmc
01-30-2008, 11:29 AM
WoW Ruskin!,,you be lucky,.. back in 70's,,,ya, that far back. I bought a 48 Willys and couldn't wait to take it out(Western Pa at that time).. Got it out a few times for short test trips up in some wooded areas & it went everywhere I pointed it. Well, one nice day I went for the looooooong Steep Power Lines), crossed a little creek, started up the power Line, maybe 3/4 of the way up, Then Oh God, I hit an wet spring feed area, stopped me dead then started backwards,(always check everything when you purchase a new vehicle),>>>I smash brakes to floor, lost all brakes, reached for E-Brake and pulled handle & pulled the whole thing right out of the dash(no cable hooked to it). All my mine said was, they'll find me with this E-Handle still in my hand)..... I come to a little bit of a shelf area more flatter, decided to turn wheel hard and go sideways to a stop, it worked but I went up on two wheels & almost rolled about 200 yards down the hill. I looked out the passenger window down that hill and said to myself what the hell do I do now, I turned steering wheel lock to right, eased the clutch out & it turned & went down the hill(it did want to tip). I'll always remember the look on the guys faces lined up on the road watching me in their Coal Buckets. Never went back over there ..
See Ruskin, your story brought back old memories, I know what went through your mind.....