Trip Advice, Va-NC [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Trip Advice, Va-NC

Para Jumper
06-23-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm a new JK owner, and not familiar with any off road camping in my area so I'm searching the net and asking forum members for some advice. My family and I camp, backpack, backcountry type camp. Now that I have the jeep(currently un modified X) I would like to find someplace fun for my family and I to go this weekend. I dont mind an out of the way spot or even a campsite that has 4x4 trails near by. So any advice would be much appreciated. I live in South East Virginia (Norfolk), I'm close to NC so obviously any suggestions withing a couple hours in any direction I would go for. Thanks in advance.
I did search around the site but it doesnt seem to be much posting for this area.

johnmcd
06-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Uwharrie National Forrest in Central NC has trails and camping, a variety of both. From Va Beach it is a hike, have you looked into the OBX, fundriving in th eloose sand and camping should be great with enough bug spray.

Para Jumper
06-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Actually I had considered that. I've been down to a spot out there a while back before the jeep. But I really wanted something a bit more wooded. Although OBX is going to be my fall back plan.

johnmcd
06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Uwharrie is a good all around spot, mud, rocks, lots of woods, camping both primative and somewhat established. You can also wheel at night there which is cool. I was on my wayt to Charlotte this morning and made an unscheduled stop for a 90 minute wheel session. The easy trails are quite simple when dry and traction is easy, the hard trail - Daniel and Dutch John are more technical on both driver and rig, water makes them quite a challenge.
Outside of that, NC doesnt have much to offer, maybe Rausch Creek in PA?

bluerubicon08
06-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Check out JK-forum.com. I've been on there for the last year, seems to be alot more help. My son and I went up to Flagpole and Salyshed 2 weekends ago with another jeeper. We were just there for the day, but as it is in the George Washington National Forest, there is plenty of camping opportunity there. It is west of Harrisonburg by about 15 miles. Quite a hike from the Tidewater area, but worth it for a weekend!

motors4fun
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I live in Va Beach. I am planning a trip to Crabtree falls out in western Va. Its about 4 hours away. Its got good camping, trail rides and the Appalachian trail runs right through there for some cool hiking not to mention the Falls themselves. We are going the weekend of July 24th. It will be me a few friends and and my 8 year old son. Should be a good time.

rubican!
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I live in Va Beach. I am planning a trip to Crabtree falls out in western Va. Its about 4 hours away. Its got good camping, trail rides and the Appalachian trail runs right through there for some cool hiking not to mention the Falls themselves. We are going the weekend of July 24th. It will be me a few friends and and my 8 year old son. Should be a good time.

he would be talking about shoe creek and stoney run. Defently a great spot if you can make the drive. Wheeling there is great.

motors4fun
07-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Just wanted to extend an invitation to any Jeeps in Va that would like to go to Crabtree falls next weekend (17th through 19th). I would love to get a bunch of people together and hit the trails. If anyone is interested let me know and we can set up a meeting point.

crestoncowboy
12-23-2009, 02:55 PM
nc has a few spots if you dont care to drive 6 hours to the mountains. i drive 6 hours to wilmington and atlantic beach 3 or 4 times a year. tellico is west, brown mountain, callalantee, pond mountain, and pisgah nf are north west and there are plenty of places in the central part of the state. fort fisher doesnt count as wheeling as it is only 4 miles but it does have good fishing opportunities. hell, my driveway is difficult with the two feet of snow it has right now.

JohnnyWalker
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Croatan National Forest near Edenton, NC is relly nice as well

UNCJK
12-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Croatan National Forest near Edenton, NC is relly nice as well
I would be interested in this. What does Croatan NF offer for Jeepers?

johnmcd
12-24-2009, 05:13 AM
I would be interested in this. What does Croatan NF offer for Jeepers?

x2, I thought it was 4 wheelers only

johnmcd
12-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Check out JK-forum.com. I've been on there for the last year, seems to be alot more help. My son and I went up to Flagpole and Salyshed 2 weekends ago with another jeeper. We were just there for the day, but as it is in the George Washington National Forest, there is plenty of camping opportunity there. It is west of Harrisonburg by about 15 miles. Quite a hike from the Tidewater area, but worth it for a weekend!

BTW FCUK jk-forum-a-line-and-kiss-ass.cunt/ponytailed_sperm swallower
just my opinion:thefinger:

benmar2000
12-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Uwharrie National Forest
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

George Washington National Forrest..
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/recreation/atv.shtml

Outer Banks North Carolina
http://www.outer-banks.com/visitor-info/offroad.asp

Private ORV Parks
Gulches
http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/

There are others but I haven't been to them yet..