anyone running 12" wide rims? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: anyone running 12" wide rims?

Raingler
06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Having heck of a time with the search for this. Looking for some pics or feedback on 12" wide wheels. 17" and up. Anyone? I'm looking at some 14.50 " wide tires for these. Back spacing etc.

jeeperjkj
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
What wheel are you plannin' on runnin'? I don't think you'd need a 12" wide wheel. 10" wide should be plenty and 9" might be wide enough.

venom
06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
10" should be plenty
go too wide and the beads won't stay seated as well when aired down
also you get more tire hanging out to save a little rockrash on the rims

rage344
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
look at crashes rigs when he is running boggers hes got 38x15x15s crazy wide

Broncojohn
06-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Having heck of a time with the search for this. Looking for some pics or feedback on 12" wide wheels. 17" and up. Anyone? I'm looking at some 14.50 " wide tires for these. Back spacing etc.

MRW Sells custom sizes and can hook you up. Be sure to ask them if they have to cut the rim. There are some sizes that have to be cut and welded back together. I jsut bought a set of 17x9.5 it's the largest rim they make in 17 without having to split the rim. They're probably the toughest steel rim you can buy, the down side is they are heavy.

10" should be plenty
go too wide and the beads won't stay seated as well when aired down
also you get more tire hanging out to save a little rockrash on the rims

Agreed 10" should be plenty, but the staying on the bead comment is a not exactly true. It all depends on how you use the rig.

Running on the rocks there may be some advantages to running a narrow rim; but if you drive on dirt roads/trails, snow, and mud, running a wider rim can have its advantages. At lower pressure you will see more stability and your footprint will be flatter which is better for floatation. Running a rim that is too narrow can get you into balancing issues too.