AK-47 Trigger Sticking [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: AK-47 Trigger Sticking

Tank29
06-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Question for ya!

A buddy has a new Rom. AK-47 and has broke it down to clean it...He has tried to shoot it two different days and he said he is getting a sticky trigger...He said he can shoot 3 rounds and then the trigger sticks to the rear of the trigger guard...He takes it all apart and cleans it then he may shoot 2 rounds before it sticks again...Sometimes he said he may get 4-5 rounds off before it sticks...Any ideas?

Thanks.

mike_engle
06-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Was it functioning prior to first cleaning.

Tank29
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
He shot 2-3 mags without a problem but for some reason he went to shoot it and this time it is sticking...I was there when he first shot it and you could rapid fire it so i don't know what is wrong...

mike_engle
06-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Did he invert the hammer spring or not reassemble it correctly?

rage344
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
get rid of the commie weapon and buy an m-4 :D

rockrash
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
tell your buddy its done, you cant fix sompthing like that.....But he can send it to me for disposal :thefinger::D

Tank29
06-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't know what it is...I am going to see about taking to my gun guy where I bought my AR's...It worked fine and he said that he never cleaned it after we shot 200-300 rounds...He went out to the range about 3 weeks later and now it is sticking...I haven't seen it yet but I will have to break it down and see if I can see anything out of place...Any ideas?

usmcdoc14
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
get rid of the commie weapon and buy an m-4 :D

I have a few "commie weapons" that will make most M4 clones its b!tch :laughing: :thefinger:

Define "stick". like not return forward?

ok, check the folowing:
Make sure both of the arms of the trigger/hammer spring are over the trigger "arms"
Make sure there is no crap or whatever that is getting under the trigger "arms"
Make sure the axis bushing is not binding or too long (the axis pin for the trigger goes through a bushing or tube. the tube goes through the trigger and disconnector)

I polish the pins on all my AKs. Just pull the pins and hit them with some emory cloth while chucked in a drill, then finer sandpaper till nice and smooth.

rage344
06-08-2009, 11:27 PM
who said anything about a clone :D

Tank29
06-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Define "stick". like not return forward?

ok, check the folowing:
Make sure both of the arms of the trigger/hammer spring are over the trigger "arms"
Make sure there is no crap or whatever that is getting under the trigger "arms"
Make sure the axis bushing is not binding or too long (the axis pin for the trigger goes through a bushing or tube. the tube goes through the trigger and disconnector)

I polish the pins on all my AKs. Just pull the pins and hit them with some emory cloth while chucked in a drill, then finer sandpaper till nice and smooth.

Yes that is what he is describing...He said the trigger needs to be forced forward...Will shoot a few rounds ok and then not return to the forward position...I will pass the info on to him and I will try to check it out this weekend...THANKS a bunch!

usmcdoc14
06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
who said anything about a clone :D

seeing as you can't own a real one at all and your state will barely even let you own a neutered version of a clone, so I have no clue what you think you have to say about this. :laughing::thefinger:

mike_engle
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
"Make sure both of the arms of the trigger/hammer spring are over the trigger "arms""

This is what is most likely happening. An improperly assembled hammer spring or inverted hammer will allow the hammer to cycle normally for a few rounds before it becomes fubar'd if it is not reassembled correctly.

One other thing to check is if the Shepard's hook (crook hook) is put back the right way. This can cause problems as well.

If the axis pins are the problem then it would have been noticed after the first 30 - 60 rounds fired before he disassembled the weapon, not always the case but grinding them down does help.

If it was firing as advertised prior to first cleaning then there was a problem with his reassembly of the weapon.

Here is a good website for him to go look at:
http://www.guerrillagunsmith.com/akdetailed.htm

rage344
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
seeing as you can't own a real one at all and your state will barely even let you own a neutered version of a clone, so I have no clue what you think you have to say about this. :laughing::thefinger:

im active duty so mine is a real one :smokin:

edwin907
06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Nothing wrong with an AK.
Mike is on it! Check to see that it is assembled correctly.

This A1R is one of the best rifles I've ever owned.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/Aim1.jpg

usmcdoc14
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
One other thing to check is if the Shepard's hook (crook hook) is put back the right way. This can cause problems as well.

I ditch that for hairpin clips on all of my AK's. Holds better and easier to install/remove

im active duty so mine is a real one :smokin:
I can't take mine home either and my clones shoot better than my work one anyway :laughing:
although SOCOM has the cash for some better blingity optics than me :(

mike_engle
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I ditch that for hairpin clips on all of my AK's. Holds better and easier to install/remove

I was just trying to keep it simple. :beer:

Semper Fi