Road trip to NM [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Road trip to NM

O2BDrty
06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Heading out to New Mexico June 17th to the end of the month. What can I expect out there? Any trails near Santa Fe (where we are staying)? Taos? Carlsbad? Roswell? Albuquerque? 4 corners? Yeah were going all over the state and doing some sightseeing. Would love to see some ghost towns and such. Any suggestions from the locals would be great. Thanks.

Don't forget about food as well. Thats important!!!!!!!!!!!!

CubbieBlue
06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
There are tons of trails all over New Mexico. Here is a link to some of the more popular ones. http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/newmexicotrails/New_Mexico_Off_Road_Driving_Trails_and_Maps_For_4x 4_Trucks_4WD_SUVs.htm

As far as food goes, if you are not familiar with it beware the red and green chile!

Hope this helps :beer:

gold knight
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Embrace the chiles:pissed::beer:

You should be in for quite a treat. There's a lot to see. We drove out to visit family shortly after getting the JK in '07 but unfourunately it wasn't a wheeling type trip. Spent most of the time following behind my step-son and his pickup/airstream and camping.

O2BDrty
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Whats wrong with the chilis? Hot maybe or just spicy good??????

gold knight
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Whats wrong with the chilis? Hot maybe or just spicy good??????Hot or mild, just spicy good, YES. We've been out that way a couple times now and we're hooked on them. The son sent a bushel of each (hot and mild) fresh last season so we could roast and freeze them.

The intardnet says the New Mexico Chilis are basically the same as the Anaheim pepper we can get here except the New Mexico climate is perfect for making them incredibly hot. There is no comparison except in shape and size.

Anyway back to your original question (from an outsider's point of view) At times it doesn't feel as hot as it really is, 100 degrees there feels more like 90 so watch out and stay hydrated. Expect your hair to dry in two minutes or less:D and perspiration will evaporate almost immediately. The low humidity takes a few days to get used to. Nasal moisturizer spray helps until you adjust.

When we were there we went to Acoma Pueblo in the Northwest and enjoyed the tour. If you're into native jewelry, the Zuni's supposedly make some fine quality but all the shops were closed when we passed through on a Sunday.

The most important lesson I learned the first time out. ALWAYS make sure you have plenty of fuel. You can literally go 200 miles without a station in sight. Top off before you head out.

Now I'm sure some of these locals can tell you about the trails and must-see places along your journey.

Broncojohn
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Farmington is a must.

krishl
01-10-2010, 07:59 AM
FR 103 goes from 126 (between Cuba and La Cueva) through the Santa Fe NF to 96 between Gallina and Coyote. Beautiful drive with nothing challenging. Lots of side road / trails to explore though. Teakettle Rock is a good photo-op.

FR 376 between Gilman and Fenton Lake is also a good scenic forest road, including the "famous" Gilman Tunnels.

My favorite is FR 150 which goes from 35 near Mimbres for 120 miles through the Gila NF. Lots of choices about halfway, but my favorites are the road from Snow Lake to Mogollon and the road from Snow Lake to Reserve. Great campsites all along the way, with a regular campground at Snow Lake.

A nice short ghost town loop starts on 349 off of US 54 just north of Carrizozo, and becomes FR 73 through White Oaks and returning to US 54 near Ancho.

NMJeeper
01-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Farmington and Choke Cherry are awesome, just a bit far from Santa Fe

West of Santa Fe is the "Tank Trap", ok trail, has a nice bolder field.

Rio Puerco is awesome everything for buggies to stock, probably 120 some different obstacles or trails, just west of albuquerque, NMoffroad.com there is always a group of guys doing the puerco on any given Sat or Sun, PM me as it gets close, i'll go out with you.