Ding..Ding...Ding....BLAM [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Ding..Ding...Ding....BLAM

MichaelW
01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Ok by now someone has found the wonderful little happy dinger in the dash of the JK.

Where is it so I can kill it!:devil:

I have the manual and admittedly haven't had a lot of time to look but it HAS TO GO! So anyone found this little bugger yet?

venom
01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
the one that incessantly reminds you that your keys are in the jeep?
The one that makes you want to punch babies if you try to work on it with the doors open and the radio on?
yes, someone please find it.
I bet it's integrated into the computer tho............

Steve-UK
01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
On the TJ Wrangler it was part of the instrument cluster, so it will not be easy on the JK that is for sure:bawling:

Ruskin
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
There's a sequence of steps you do to change the other electronic settings (turn off the seat belt ding, change how the doors lock or unlock, etc). I wonder if there is a sequence to turn off all dings?

b1pig
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I wonder if there is a sequence to turn off all dings?

take out the battery. :D:D:D

sorry.... couldn't help myself. :)

i'm certain that the key-in chime is not going to be an option. considering that it is a "convenience" feature, it is more of a "safety" feature for us to help stop from accidentally getting off track and locking the doors with the kid(s) and keys in it. It happens ALOT to amny people, so ... trust me on that one.

thissideup
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
At least with a soft top you can just unzip the window

tiny
01-22-2008, 05:16 AM
pull the plug out on the door and use a wire to bridge them untill you find the wire that triggers the ding then cut it as there is no ding with the doors off

Disclaimer: i dont know if this will work as i just thought of it but i will probably give it a go

John L
01-22-2008, 05:56 AM
I believe the "ding" is externally generated and actually comes out of one of the speakers, driver front.....I think....

MichaelW
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I reviewed th wiring diagrams for a couple hours looking for the dinger or the source. Everywhere where the ding comes from, i.e. key on everything goes to the CANBUS at some point and I see no indication of wiring going to a piezo electric noise maker or anything. So you are probably right John but I'll keep looking every time I find some spare minutes.

John L
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm going out to my Jeep now, I'll hold my ear to the speaker and let you know for sure.

John L
01-22-2008, 04:58 PM
OK, I was wrong, it's not coming from any speaker. I traced it by ear and it's coming from the instrument cluster, specifically from behind the fuel gauge.

H2OBob
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
pull the plug out on the door and use a wire to bridge them untill you find the wire that triggers the ding then cut it as there is no ding with the doors off

Disclaimer: i dont know if this will work as i just thought of it but i will probably give it a go

If you have power windows, don't short the window circuit. Very possible fire hazard!
:shocked:

MichaelW
01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I want to kill the ding for other reasons than the door being a jar, which by the way it is still a door but not fully closed. :laughing:

I am not an ID-10-T (well most of the time) and don't need to know I have just put the keys in the ignition or they are still in the ignition. etc etc etc.

Heck I'd be happy to just be able to lower the ding by several dB's so I can only hear it when I WANT to hear it.

And the ding is so cutsey-pooh it makes me want to regurgitate every time I hear it. I'd rather have a buzzer as this ding is more like fingernails on a chalk board than a pleasant reminder.

I might have some time this weekend as the snow will still be flying and and I should get a chance on Sunday after a couple hours in the Hot Springs.

dougnpj
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
any new news on the noise maker?:smokin:

paragon
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
any new news on the noise maker?:smokin:

A chime warning system is standard factory-installed equipment. The chime warning system uses an electromechanical transducer and an electromechanical relay that are soldered onto the electronic circuit board inside of the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (1) to provide audible indications of various vehicle conditions that may require the attention of the vehicle operator or occupants. The EMIC also includes the hardware and software necessary to serve as the electronic body control module and is sometimes referred to as the Cab Compartment Node or CCN.
The electromechanical transducer generates beep tones and chime tones, while the electromechanical relay generates click tones to emulate the sounds associated with conventional turn signal and hazard warning flasher operation. The microprocessor-based EMIC utilizes electronic chime request messages received from other modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus along with hard wired inputs to monitor many sensors and switches throughout the vehicle. In response to those inputs, the circuitry and programming of the EMIC allow it to control the audible outputs that are produced through its on-board transducer and relay.
The EMIC is capable of producing the following audible outputs:

Slow Rate Repetitive Click - Repeated click tones that are issued at a slow rate of about 90 clicks per minute.
Fast Rate Repetitive Click - Repeated click tones that are issued at a fast rate of more than about 180 clicks per minute.
Single Chime Tone - A single chime tone.
Slow Rate Repetitive Chime - Repeated chime tones that are issued at a slow rate of about 50 chimes per minute.
Fast Rate Repetitive Chime - Repeated chime tones that are issued at a fast rate of about 180 chimes per minute.Hard wired circuitry connects the EMIC and the various chime warning system switch and sensor inputs to their modules and to each other through the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the EMIC through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.
The EMIC chime warning system circuits and components cannot be adjusted or repaired. If the EMIC circuitry, the on-board transducer or the relay are damaged or ineffective, the EMIC unit must be replaced.

a little work involved to do something about it

dougnpj
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
a little work involved to do something about it

HOLLY CRAP!!! I will just have to teach myself to consider that noise is just one of my kids and tune it outÖ..:D:beer:

C-rog
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
For me the main one is the no seat belt, I do drive in first gear fully in control a lot meaning under 10mph. And can't stand the ding. If you're in the passanger seat while the dinging is taking place, I may punch you.

venom
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
the seatbelt dinger is an easy fix
theres a plug under the seat, just jumper 2 of the wires and it thinks its fastened all the time
If you want I can look at mine and tell you exactly which 2 colors you jump across

dougnpj
02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
theres a plug under the seat, just jumper 2 of the wires and it thinks its fastened all the time
If you want I can look at mine and tell you exactly which 2 colors you jump across

Yes please!! that is the one that is driving me mad......:bawling::pissed:

MichaelW
02-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Ok so I mght not be able to pull it out but since it is a transducer I can muffle it. Now I just have to find it.:beer:

Goldrushjoe
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
cut the male end off another seat belt.. and insert it .;)

venom
02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
ok, I'll check the wiring when I get home from work this evening.
Nice thing about jumping the wires is that it puts the seat belt back to being a CHOICE:mr-t:

Alec W
02-12-2008, 03:27 PM
ok, I'll check the wiring when I get home from work this evening.
Nice thing about jumping the wires is that it puts the seat belt back to being a CHOICE:mr-t:
Plus youíll still know when passengers havenít buckled up.

venom
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
4 pin plug under the driver's seat
jump green to black
your choice of methods, 2 scotch lock connectors and a wire between them or I used a very small gauge wire and did it inside the plug
I guess I should post this in the library too

surfChuck
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I cut and pasted this from the manual into another thread, but here it is...

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled
or disabled by your authorized dealer or by
following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driverís seat belt remains unfastened.

justajeep
03-30-2008, 02:47 AM
I just did mine tonight... I pulled the dash apart to put some tint under the high beam and the tire pressure idiot lights- I hate glaring lights in my eyes- anyway while I had it out I put a piece of tape over the buzzer- its on the left of the cluster with a little hole in the back. fixed -
I didnt take it for a ride but the keys are still in it and couldnt here a thing,I tried leaving the headlights on and still didnt hear anything. - hope it helps:beer:

dyolfknip
03-30-2008, 12:55 PM

I just followed the instructions in the manual for turning that off. Why make a jumper?

venom
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I just followed the instructions in the manual for turning that off. Why make a jumper?

then it kills the warning light too
it just tricks it into thinking the belt is fastened all the time.

NE Wrangling
03-30-2008, 08:32 PM

following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driverís seat belt remains unfastened.

Awesome find, we all owe you one!!! I decided I'm going to jump just the drivers side because the real reason I want to turn it off is so I can't hear the wife tell me to buckle up. She won't notice if it did \n't sound like I was getting ready to self destruct.

I was thinking though, did jeep mistakenly swith the hormn and the speaker for this annoying beep? I mean if the windows are down and my wife is in her car next to mine with the windows down she can celarly hear this thing beeping.

Rustler
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I did the disable of the seat belt chime by using the manual and it works like a charm no chime when the seat belt not on while driving.

BryGuy
11-14-2008, 09:05 AM

following these steps:

Where exactly did you find this information? I know you stated "from the manual", but which manual?

SDMF
11-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Where exactly did you find this information? I know you stated "from the manual", but which manual?

It's in the owners manual. There are actually a few useful things in the book - for once. :D

bodyguy
11-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I had enough on one trail outing and did a dinger extraction in the field. remove the instrument cluster and take the back off of it the dinger is on the left side just grab it with a pair of pliers and twist.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/kerryp/Longs%20Ranch%2010-18-08/P1010096.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/kerryp/Longs%20Ranch%2010-18-08/P1010095.jpg

Ewok
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
the one that incessantly reminds you that your keys are in the jeep?
The one that makes you want to punch babies if you try to work on it with the doors open and the radio on?
yes, someone please find it.
I bet it's integrated into the computer tho............

To fix your door situation just unplug the doors, as if you were going to take them off, should rid you of the awful ding:D

jacktuttle
11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
HOLLY CRAP!!! I will just have to teach myself to consider that noise is just one of my kids and tune it outÖ..:D:beer:

OK so that has me LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Jason @ Warrior
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
To fix your door situation just unplug the doors, as if you were going to take them off, should rid you of the awful ding:D

And then your power windows/locks don't work...