Full custom cage requests [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Full custom cage requests

CONVICT
05-30-2009, 08:18 PM
This week im redoing the roll cage along with an exo cage. Im hoping some people can post up some pics for idea's. I've only seen 1 exo cage and it was over done imo.

Im thinking something like my bud joeys jeep for a cage:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/av9inch/DSCN1154.jpg

And exo along the lines of:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/av9inch/Moab0050.jpg

Aggie
05-30-2009, 09:31 PM
That's not an exo, that is tube fenders tied into a Hood Hoop....

CONVICT
05-30-2009, 09:33 PM
its an exo, the hoop ties into the flares which tie into the rock rails which tie into the rear flares which tie into the rear bumper. Very slick design and stop body damage from trees.

Aggie
05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
its an exo, the hoop ties into the flares which tie into the rock rails which tie into the rear flares which tie into the rear bumper. Very slick design and stop body damage from trees.

Oh excuse me, but in all my offroading, I have known that the term "exo" is short for External Cage, meaning like a roll cage on the Exterior of a vehicle. I didn't realize when people tied fenders and rails and bumpers together with tube they considered that an Exo-Cage. I guess I have to go tell everyone over at Pirate and Mud the news! :thefinger::D

offroader613
05-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Don't get your panties in a bunch. He wants a "light" exo cage

HITMONEY
05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Exo cages and Jeeps... :shaking:

Exo's are for things like Xterras with a uni body.. not Jeeps.
Exos also add alot of weight high up on the rig... not something you want if you don't have to.

But whatever floats your rubber ducky I guess.

Get the EVO or RR armor, full Poly cage (when released) and you will achieve the same thing as in the silver Jeep above.

CONVICT
05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Oh excuse me, but in all my offroading, I have known that the term "exo" is short for External Cage, meaning like a roll cage on the Exterior of a vehicle. I didn't realize when people tied fenders and rails and bumpers together with tube they considered that an Exo-Cage. I guess I have to go tell everyone over at Pirate and Mud the news! :thefinger::D

exo cage - something that protects your jeeps body from damage, for example "roll cage on the Exterior of a vehicle" so when i put my jk on its side, the body panels arent damaged. Instead it would rest on the fenders and the top of the exo.

Light exo cage would be the correct term, i would add some dom tubing from fender accross windshield wiper area and some up to the roof that can be connected to the roll cage.

Something like = not exactly as shown. More like this, but 2 door.

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/jeep001.jpg

Dont get all prissy with me toyo boy... :thefinger: maybe stick with the fj ;)

Duke
05-31-2009, 08:22 AM

x2. The posted picture is NOT an exo CAGE.

Paul08Wrangler
05-31-2009, 08:56 AM
exo cage - something that protects your jeeps body from damage, for example "roll cage on the Exterior of a vehicle" so when i put my jk on its side, the body panels arent damaged. Instead it would rest on the fenders and the top of the exo.

Light exo cage would be the correct term, i would add some dom tubing from fender accross windshield wiper area and some up to the roof that can be connected to the roll cage.

Something like = not exactly as shown. More like this, but 2 door.

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/jeep001.jpg

Where did you find that pic of the 4 door, want to see more if there is some...

BiGEN
05-31-2009, 09:24 AM
i love the jeep.. love the cage.. but u cant even take the soft top off..

SDMF
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
The evo armor weights a hell of a lot more than whats on that silver TJ. The silver TJ is pretty close to what I want to do to mine eventually.

Prope
05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
And exo along the lines of:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/av9inch/Moab0050.jpg

That's Rev111 stuff, they made great stuff for the TJ but went out of business very quickly. One of the local guys here had everything above minus the grill guard(which I think is Toys by Troy, but don't quote me), looked great... Then he sold it and it was rolled hard on the street & it actually held up nicely. Nothing is tied in though like you think it is... although it's really close & matches up in pictures.

RDM Offroad
05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Rev111 is back in business(picked up by another company in northern Ca). Before they shut down they had JK flares in the works that some of you might have seen on Xtreme 4x4 a while back. Once the new owners get things up and running you can expect to see the JK stuff back. Overall great products and very versatile.

James

CONVICT
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
so back on topic... anyone running an exo? still looking for inspiration.

CONVICT
05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
That's Rev111 stuff, they made great stuff for the TJ but went out of business very quickly. One of the local guys here had everything above minus the grill guard(which I think is Toys by Troy, but don't quote me), looked great... Then he sold it and it was rolled hard on the street & it actually held up nicely. Nothing is tied in though like you think it is... although it's really close & matches up in pictures.

The silver jeep is a friend of mine from Calgary, he did indeed tie everything in together.

Prope
05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
The silver jeep is a friend of mine from Calgary, he did indeed tie everything in together.

COOL! How did he isolate the body from the frame. My buddy wanted to do that but couln't figure it out. Tell your buddy that's one of the best looking tj's I've seen(not that he doesn't already know that)!

White widow, i think that's his name, has a good looking/functional exo. He just had a post with tons of pics recently.

Prope
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
here it is... http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10053

CONVICT
05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks prope! Im not 100% sure how he did it, he has since sold his rig which was a sad day! But if I see him again I'll ask him.

On a side note, what tranny did you go with for your hemi swap? and did you have to lengthen or shorten your 1350's?

Prope
05-31-2009, 12:46 PM
5-45RFE... Burnsville did the swap before I bought it from the PO.
I need to lengthen the front about 2 inches, but it still works, just makes me nervous when the axle is completely compressed as it's toward the end of the splines, the rear works just fine.

offroader613
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I know the link is from "there", but here's the protection dildo has on his JK. http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=71803

MaRShiN
05-31-2009, 02:33 PM
looks pretty good, but he's not "trail rated" anymore :p

CONVICT
05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
thanks carson! totally what I was talking about over the windshield wiper area to the roof. Not too sure on his rails, but we'll see.

Paul08Wrangler
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Here's a couple of my heep...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/KATEMCY5-24-09089.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/KATEMCY5-24-09102.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Jeep4-19-09009.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/Jeep4-19-09008.jpg

stralph
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM
so back on topic... anyone running an exo? still looking for inspiration.

look at my website maybe that will help you .

Paul08Wrangler
06-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Done a little more work on mine this past week...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/SuperTruckShootOut6-7-09001.jpg

tankcrash
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok so i am not even close to ready for a cage...(money) but I was wondering if it really makes a hill of beans if you put your cage Exo style as opposed to internal, when it comes to having a higher center of gravity. Seems to me that a few inches will not change your center of gravity that much. Plus if you are THAT worried about rolling, your going to want it on the outside protecting body panels anyways.

Just thinking.... (and dreaming:D)

Aggie
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Exo cages and Jeeps... :shaking:

Exo's are for things like Xterras with a uni body.. not Jeeps.
Exos also add alot of weight high up on the rig... not something you want if you don't have to.

But whatever floats your rubber ducky I guess.

Get the EVO or RR armor, full Poly cage (when released) and you will achieve the same thing as in the silver Jeep above.

Thank you! Exo's do not belong on anything. If you are going to put your jeep on it's side then you probably have already given up hope on your body panels... :shaking:

And the weight argument is VERY valid, making you top heavy with a powerplant that really can't handle it. Take the Advice from the Toyota Guys running Exo's with the 22RE motor, bad idea.

Wasn't pissy. Go hang out at Pirate for a little while and figure out what this smiley actually means... :thefinger:

x2. The posted picture is NOT an exo CAGE.

Gracias.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. He wants a "light" exo cage

I am getting **** talked to me by a 15 year old who plays with Photoshop while his Momma makes him an afternoon snack! What is this world coming to!?!? :laughing:

Done a little more work on mine this past week...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/paulrs123/SuperTruckShootOut6-7-09001.jpg

That's an Exo ^^^^ Still unnecessary but I appreciate the Time paul obviously has put into his vehicle.

offroader613
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I am getting **** talked to me by a 15 year old who plays with Photoshop while his Momma makes him an afternoon snack! What is this world coming to!?!? :laughing:Stuff in red is true. I'm alone almost every day so of course I'm more than able to go eat out of the fridge. :thefinger:

Paul08Wrangler
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Different strokes for different folks. I like my Heep and that's what matters to me. As far as all that other stuffffff,,,,oh well I'm not worried about it at all. Keep the pics coming and someone will get idea's off of them sometimes...

Besides, I have set my rig up for the way I wheel and it works very well when your on a trail and the top is going to hit a leaning tree or in a wash out when the sides are going to drag the dirt or anything for that matter. Come follow me and you will see.......:smokin:

terrahawk
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Different strokes for different folks. I like my Heep and that's what matters to me. As far as all that other stuffffff,,,,oh well I'm not worried about it at all. Keep the pics coming and someone will get idea's off of them sometimes...

Besides, I have set my rig up for the way I wheel and it works very well when your on a trail and the top is going to hit a leaning tree or in a wash out when the sides are going to drag the dirt or anything for that matter. Come follow me and you will see.......:smokin:.

True words man. :beer:

Aggie
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Besides, I have set my rig up for the way I wheel and it works very well when your on a trail and the top is going to hit a leaning tree or in a wash out when the sides are going to drag the dirt or anything for that matter. Come follow me and you will see.......:smokin:

I know that feeling... Here are the fenders on my old FJC. Pretty hard to miss here in Texas when wheeling Gilmer and Spring Creek down there in Houston...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/Lucille/chrisouch2.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/Lucille/img020.jpg

An Exo would have helped, but the FJC had enough power to carry the weight. With the Jeep I am going tube fenders like we did on our 40. Can lean on those and keep the bad things away from the body. :D

SDMF
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Besides, I have set my rig up for the way I wheel and it works very well when your on a trail and the top is going to hit a leaning tree or in a wash out when the sides are going to drag the dirt or anything for that matter. Come follow me and you will see.......:smokin:.

And you still weight less than a stock 4 door. :grinpimp:

CONVICT
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Can lean on those and keep the bad things away from the body. :D

But no one should run protection.... Man you aggravate me.

Power will come with the 5.7, im not worried about that.

Paul08Wrangler
06-08-2009, 06:00 PM
But no one should run protection.... Man you aggravate me.

:confused:

CONVICT
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
:confused:

He just said "Thank you! Exo's do not belong on anything. If you are going to put your jeep on it's side then you probably have already given up hope on your body panels... "

Then he says "Can lean on those and keep the bad things away from the body."

Just back a forth. :shaking:

Paul08Wrangler
06-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Weight has been brought up here several times. Has any one weighted their ride. I took mine over the scales with doors on and full tank of gas, left trial tool bag in and me siting in it,,,,4680lb...That was with the tube work on the bottom only. I have added about 300 more pounds with the new tubing. Most of the weight is HOOD line and lower, so in my opinion, that's not effecting top heave too much. Besides, when it's already 4680lb's what's another 3 or 400 pounds PLUS another passenger.

Aggie
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
He just said "Thank you! Exo's do not belong on anything. If you are going to put your jeep on it's side then you probably have already given up hope on your body panels... "

Then he says "Can lean on those and keep the bad things away from the body."

Just back a forth. :shaking:

Did you fail reading comprehension? There is a BIG difference between leaning on a tree and flopping your rig. In your original post you are talking about protection for your body in your Rev111 picture, versus a full Exo, which is a CAGE meant to protect you in a rollover, but that is the title of your thread.

So which is it? Do you want a Cage to protect you and your occupants from INJURY on the trail (in a flop), or do you want body panel protection that looks cool because it is tied into sliders and bumpers?

Jeez for a guy that is starting up an off road magazine you are hard to understand.

Aggie
06-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Weight has been brought up here several times. Has any one weighted their ride. I took mine over the scales with doors on and full tank of gas, left trial tool bag in and me siting in it,,,,4680lb...That was with the tube work on the bottom only. I have added about 300 more pounds with the new tubing. Most of the weight is HOOD line and lower, so in my opinion, that's not effecting top heave too much. Besides, when it's already 4680lb's what's another 3 or 400 pounds PLUS another passenger.

Wrangler X, Man. Trans 3,760 lbs. (1,403 kg)
Wrangler X Auto. Trans 3,785 lbs. (1,413 kg)

Pulled those off a website. So if you added another 300-400 lbs over your weight on the scale then you are sitting pretty at about 5,000 lbs. That is at least a 1,000 lbs over stock, an ~30% increase in weight. For a straight wheeling rig, with 5.13's then that is great.

Where this should come into play for a lot of folks, and especially the Expeditionary crowd like me who pulls a trailer through the trails, this can severely impact any kind of Fuel Economy, along with pushing the line of how much weight I should be safely dragging down the road with the 3.8 and any Suspension system I could put on. You start adding ten extra gallons of gas and 20 gallons of water, Fridge, and 7 days of supplies, 2 dogs and a passenger, it adds up quick.

Point I am trying to make is that people should make clear what they are trying to accomplish with an "Exo" Cage. And then they should be aware of the up and downside of said cage. If you are just looking for body panel protection, get some bumper, tube fenders, and good rocker panel guards and wheel smart. If you want body panel protection and think you are going to take your jeep where you are going to roll Get and Exo, but if you roll (not just flop onto your side) you will damage body panels if you have an Exo or not.

Hopefully I explained myself well enough that you aren't confused about the point I am trying to make.

SDMF
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
A rubicon unlimited weighs 4,442, Rubicon 2 door is 4,103. (in manual)

Aggie
06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
A rubicon unlimited weighs 4,442, Rubicon 2 door is 4,103. (in manual)

Yeah that was on the same page as the weights listed, but for Paul, Stock he has a 2-Door 2008 X according to his Signature, so I was just using that for weight comparison. Obviously it would be a whole lot heavier if you added all of his mods to a 4 dr or a Rubicon (or hell both! :))

Curb Weight for All 2 Doors Stock (For Original Poster and Paul)

Curb Weight

Wrangler X, Man. Trans 3,760 lbs. (1,403 kg)
Wrangler X Auto. Trans 3,785 lbs. (1,413 kg)
Wrangler Sahara, Man. Trans 3,951 lbs. (1,475 kg)
Wrangler Sahara, Auto. Trans 3,976 lbs. (1,484 kg)
Wrangler Rubicon, Man. Trans 4,104 lbs. (1,532 kg)
Wrangler Rubicon, Auto. Trans 4,129 lbs. (1,541 kg)

SDMF
06-09-2009, 08:35 AM
He does have an X, but he also has rubicon axles front and rear and the 4-1 transfer case (although I don't see why this would weigh more than the X and Sahara version), so his weight prior to his cage is inline with a rubicon.

Paul08Wrangler
06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Curb weight doesn't take into consideration all the things I listed in my thread about weight. Load your rig up as it is on the trail, full tank of gas, tools, food, driver, passenger, dog, cat, hamster, camera's, binoculars, ice chest, change of underwear, air tank, compressor, chains, pull straps, extra shackles, extra u-joints, spare axles, bla, bla, bla, and then go across the SCALES... Not what some book says and you will see a big difference. My point was clear. What's another 3 or 400 pounds????.......Any ways on to the next controversial topic:shaking:

Aggie
06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Curb weight doesn't take into consideration all the things I listed in my thread about weight. Load your rig up as it is on the trail, full tank of gas, tools, food, driver, passenger, dog, cat, hamster, camera's, binoculars, ice chest, change of underwear, air tank, compressor, chains, pull straps, extra shackles, extra u-joints, spare axles, bla, bla, bla, and then go across the SCALES... Not what some book says and you will see a big difference. My point was clear. What's another 3 or 400 pounds????.......Any ways on to the next controversial topic:shaking:

I wasn't disagreeing with you bud, I was just showing how much weight it was adding when we start modding our rigs. My statement was meant towards the original poster not you.

Paul08Wrangler
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
O K D K Bud!

Man you Aggies are hard to figure out, But I wont give up. I'm slow but, I plow on- plow on- plow on.....

Have a good day...

CONVICT
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Did you fail reading comprehension? There is a BIG difference between leaning on a tree and flopping your rig. In your original post you are talking about protection for your body in your Rev111 picture, versus a full Exo, which is a CAGE meant to protect you in a rollover, but that is the title of your thread.

So which is it? Do you want a Cage to protect you and your occupants from INJURY on the trail (in a flop), or do you want body panel protection that looks cool because it is tied into sliders and bumpers?

Jeez for a guy that is starting up an off road magazine you are hard to understand.

Man.... how is it hard to understand?? I asked for full cage pictures because im trying to get idea's for my exo. I knew i wanted the full round bottom protectant like the jeep in my first pic and I wanted a little more. Now that people have posted up pictures of their cages I know exactly what I would like to do. Call it what you want, its an exo and will do exactly what im building it to do.

Simple enough for yea? :shaking:

Paul08Wrangler
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Man.... how is it hard to understand?? I asked for full cage pictures because im trying to get idea's for my exo. I knew i wanted the full round bottom protectant like the jeep in my first pic and I wanted a little more. Now that people have posted up pictures of their cages I know exactly what I would like to do. Call it what you want, its an exo and will do exactly what im building it to do.

Simple enough for yea? :shaking:

Yea, what he said^^^^

airric00
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
nice pissing match!! :thefinger: http://k43.pbase.com/o5/42/267742/1/68416045.wGDPMlLK.popcorn.gif

terrahawk
06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Man you Aggies are hard to figure out, But I wont give up. I'm slow but, I plow on- plow on- plow on.....

Not all of us Paul!:grinpimp:

Paul08Wrangler
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Not all of us Paul!:grinpimp:

Aggies are,,,,Never mind.

CONVICT
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
sorry for the ignorance, maybe not a term in canada, whats an aggie?

offroader613
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM

I'm just as confused

mmm...mud
06-13-2009, 10:11 PM
There is a guy on this forum and the other one who goes by the screen name "Dildo". He has the best light exo I have seen yet. Check it out.

skeptic
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM

An aggie is inferior to a Longhorn. Pretty straight forward.

offroader613
06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
There is a guy on this forum and the other one who goes by the screen name "Dildo". He has the best light exo I have seen yet. Check it out.

I already gave him the link to Dildo's cage. Only one I could think of.