No More Hood Lift [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: No More Hood Lift

nam6869usmc
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Well I did the the Mod for the crazy Hood Lift at 65-70 mph...scary. It doesn't move at all at 75, just got done testing for about 25 miles between 65-75mph higway. What a difference now, coming back from Camp Jeep last year my Son was actually worried the hood was going to leave the Jeep. Soild now.
Easy cheap Mod, > 36" long, 1/2" (osd) black rubber hose bought at A&A Auto, black silicone & taped it over night. Piece of cake. Also removed the the spring beside the latch on hood. The air doesn't push that flimsy thin piece of rubber molding down now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/nam676869/DSCF0038-5.jpg

luigi0523
01-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.

nam6869usmc
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.
Ya no,..it might be, they might of replaced that very thin flimsy rubber molding with a heavier piece that won't collapse and let the 70 mph wind come under your hood. Just check it out & you'll no. Let me no if they changed it. I no this 1/2" hose blocks all frontal air & that's the ticket.

thissideup
01-13-2008, 01:23 PM
First time the hood jumped on me I thought I was seeing things. I'll be doing this today!!! Spooky......

steve&2jc's
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Does it still close all the way like before or is it sticking up any?

Dragline
01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Haven't had any problems with my 08. Drove 600 miles + round trip, never moved a bit.

grayghost
01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a 08 and my hood jumps up/down when on the highway as semis pass going the other way. I am going to try your suggest Monday when the hardware store opens.

Steel Blue X
01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I thought I was seeing things, but yeah, my 08's hood jumps aropund quite a bit. Thanks for the great idea on the easy fix!

thissideup
01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
The fix went together well. The only thing I did different was roughing up the rubber with sand paper for a better stick. Rubbed off the goodyear writing so it blends better.:bounce:

b1pig
01-14-2008, 04:09 AM
there are several remedies. the rubber tube. removing the spring. replacing the rubber latch with a solid latch. adding a piece of square tubing under the upper core suppport as another lock...

some work better on different rigs.

nam6869usmc
01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Another long windy drive yesterday taking my Granddaughter home,..very pleased with this, no up & down hood movement at all. Really don't have to watch it anymore.

thissideup
01-14-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm dropping the hammer on the fix this morning. Not worried....So far this is the best and cheepest fix. The new latches look cool but just too much work and money that I can spend else were. I think the square tubing didn't work out well in the end on that thread. This is the best way to go. Plus...remove the spring as well when you do this....

JR
01-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I think it might have been something early in 07's production.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.

nam6869usmc
01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it might have been something early in 07's production.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.[/QUOTE]

The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..

JR
01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I can look at the red one, but the black X went to a dealership in september, and they sold it for something like $38k...eep!

thissideup
01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
85 and not a twitch....Thank you for the info posted on this thead!!!! Wes:smokin:

toadontheroad
01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
5k on the 2008 and I've been watching the hood thing with no lifting... ;)

b1pig
01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
the square tube works great, actually... it just isnt an option for anyone wanting to add grill inserts.

cab76
01-17-2008, 02:09 PM

The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard a rumor that they upgraded the rubber piece on the 08s. I would be curious if that's true.

1TallJKer
01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't think its so much the year of the vehicle. I have an '07 and it only does it occasionally. Its not much and it is easy to mistake for road vibrations most of the time.

I have noticed that it only occurs when the wind comes from the side or from an angle.

Part of it is the rubber piece that comes stock, but I firmly believe that it is also inherent in the design of the hood period. I've talked to people with CJs, TJs and YJs, all have experienced this at one time or another.

Remember that the hood wraps down the side rather than dropping down between the fenders as on most vehicles, so air can easily get underneath it and lift it up.

I made a suggestion on another forum, that I personally haven't had the opportunity to try yet, though someone else tried it and said it worked great.

The solution? Run some weather striping along the sides to help keep the air from coming in under the sides of the hood. Once I get the bills caught up and can start doing more work on my Yeep, I'll do this myself.

gcg
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
All of these weather stripping approaches seem like they're doomed to failure to me. The entire underhood area is open to pressure blasts from the front through the radiator. Pressure can also enter quite freely from the bottom and the sides through the openings in the wheel wells. I see the problem all the time when I meet a big rig coming at me from the opposite direction. I feel the big pressure blast and the hood raises. I believe the pressure enters mostly through the radiator area and simply stretches the rubber bands.

I truly doubt that you can solve the problem by sealing the gaps between the hood and the rest of the body. I think the real solution lies more in replacing the rubber bands with a positive latch of some sort that holds the hood securely in place, as seen elsewhere. The modified safety latch approach would also accomplish this, though one should be careful to not eliminate the main purpose of the safety latch when modifying it.

b1pig
01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.geocities.com/b1pig/updates/DSC00665.JPG

grayghost
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Finally got a chance to do this mod, and it worked great. Thanks

airric00
04-12-2008, 11:40 AM
They also sell replacements for the rubber side hood latches with beefier ones that don't stretch from the wind. That fixes it... Or if you are short on cash you can zip tie over the rubber ones to prevent them from stretching.. Just 2 more simple fixes for ya...

lbh
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
These are all great, but in my opinion, this ought to be a recall dea from JEEP. Obviously there is an issue. I will be duing this mod myself, but I wish Jeep would step up to this and recal for stranger latches or rubber.

skibum
04-12-2008, 06:41 PM
This was one of my biggest gripes after I bought the Jeep. Mine was lifting so hard that the secondary latch actually dented the crossmember. I've tried a variety of fixes, but simply removing the spring worked best for me. Since doing this, my hood has yet to lift. Take it FWIW. :)

Dustoff '68
05-30-2008, 12:53 AM
The metal used in the hood is so damn thin, I am not surprised that some have this phenomena...like tin foil...I, for one, have yet to experience this.

rockcrawl
05-30-2008, 09:39 PM
All I did to fix my hood lift problem was to simply remove the hood spring. Now it's solid.

Alec W
05-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Or if you are short on cash you can zip tie over the rubber ones to prevent them from stretching..
Thatís what I did and it works like a charm.

ONLYSUPER
05-31-2008, 08:31 AM
My 08 dont bounce. I have been looking at it at 95mph and its good. Its easy to get confused while looking at the hood and driving that road vibrations is the hood bouncing.

beer:30
05-31-2008, 10:35 AM
my 08 thats only a few weeks old does this really bad.
even at about 65, ive actually pulled over and checked the latches because i thought i forgot to latch em.
i was afraid to ask and have someone tell me that all jeeps do this.
FORKIN NOOB!:thefinger:

i think i will try popping the spring out and maybe the square stock latch deal. that looks easy, thanks for the tips

PhilD
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I've been using the Daystar Hood Latches (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?products_id=714) for a couple of weeks and they work very well, no hood movement at all Not as cheap as some of the fixes, but easy to install and very solid.

CAMERONJEEPER
06-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Well I did the the Mod for the crazy Hood Lift at 65-70 mph...scary. It doesn't move at all at 75, just got done testing for about 25 miles between 65-75mph higway. What a difference now, coming back from Camp Jeep last year my Son was actually worried the hood was going to leave the Jeep. Soild now.
Easy cheap Mod, > 36" long, 1/2" (osd) black rubber hose bought at A&A Auto, black silicone & taped it over night. Piece of cake. Also removed the the spring beside the latch on hood. The air doesn't push that flimsy thin piece of rubber molding down now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/nam676869/DSCF0038-5.jpg

Great mod. Did you come up with that yourself?

nam6869usmc
06-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Oh H#ll no,..I steal any good design that will work.........didn't wanna put the Zip Tie's on,(the other method) that I stole, so I tried this & it absolutely works. But that's what these forums are all about, share share share idea's, with some pretty sharp Jeeper's.

Mr. T
06-04-2008, 09:35 AM
haven't tried the tubing yet, but, i did pull the spring off my 07 and it hasn't moved since. if it does reappear, i'll give the ol' tubing a shot.

the spring was more of an issue in the 07's i think. if you compare the spring from 07 to 08, there is much more play in the 08. My 07 was one tough little guy. not much play at all. really "sprung" the hood up with the latches undone...

lv jk
07-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I have a 08 and I get the hood flutter all the time. There needs to be a recall on these latches.

CJ7nvrstk
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a 08 and I get the hood flutter all the time. There needs to be a recall on these latches.

What he said.

It was so bad on my JK that it bent my hood. It's at the dealership now and we'll see what they have to say. I dropped it off yesterday and haven't heard from them yet. The service guy told me he had not heard of this problem. I told him he should do a search of the several JK forums and he will see I'm not the only one with this sort of problem. You have to figure it's pretty bad if it gets to the point it bends the hood like it did on my 08. I'm going to make them take care of it instead of me doing one of these fixes, especially since it's a poor design that allows this to happen.

PhilD
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
The Daystar Hood Latches (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=68&products_id=714) work very well. I agree you shouldn't have to, but it's an easy enough fix with tie wraps, Daystar latches, etc. I cannot foresse this ever becoming a recall, maybe a TSB, but not a recall.

CJ7nvrstk
07-31-2008, 06:39 AM
The Daystar Hood Latches (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=68&products_id=714) work very well. I agree you shouldn't have to, but it's an easy enough fix with tie wraps, Daystar latches, etc. I cannot foresse this ever becoming a recall, maybe a TSB, but not a recall.

You are probably right Phil since it doesn't affect all of us. It is quite aggravating though living in a windy area and the fact that it caused damage to my new Jeep.:pissed: