JKOwners Forum banner

Build Thread: Workin For The Weekend.....Part Deux

46K views 206 replies 49 participants last post by  caprob 
#1 · (Edited)
I have owned Jeeps for 15 years and only lately have I even really considered the JK.

During a trip to Ouray and Moab this summer I rented a stock Rubicon and had a blast.

The combination of comfort, refinement and capability blew me away.

I came home with a vision of building a multi-purpose rig off of a JK platform.

My aspiration was to have a vehicle that I could:

- Drive to any wheeling destination in the country
- Wheel any trail (within reason)
- Drive it home
- Take it to work on Monday
** This rig will be used:thefinger:

I started the process of liquidating my fleet and sold my Jeep, Cummins and Trailer to fund the JK. This is what I got rid of:

My previous Jeep was more of a purpose built trail rig that was very capable but lacked the ability to comfortably drive on the road very often.

On to the build.........

I searched for several months to find the perfect platform to start from. To be honest I experienced major sticker shock when looking at used JKU’s.

I finally found what I was looking for in upstate NY and picked it up 2 weeks ago.

Model: Unlimited X (Auto Tranny)
Year: 2007 (35K miles)

Though this is a relatively extensive build I will be doing it on a STRICT BUDGET. Like most of us, I do not have the resources to drop this off at a shop – write a check – and pick it up 2 weeks later. I’m not knocking the turn key buyers, I wish I could do the same. My intentions is to produce a Jeep of the highest quality, capability and reliability without the $60K price tag.

The build will include:

- Front Axle: Tera 60, Full Chromo, ARB, 5.13's, Big Brakes, Tera HD Steering

- Rear Axle: Tera 60, Full Chromo, ARB, 5.13's

- Suspension: Tera 3" long arm

- Drivelines: Tatton 1350 CV's (front and rear)

- Shocks: TBD – wanting coil overs or remote resi smooth bodies but have not worked that into the budget yet

- Wheels/Tires: Pintler Beadlocks / 37" KM2's

- Motor: Hemi VVT Truck motor (JSS conversion)

- T-case: Atlas 2 speed

- Steering: PSC Hydro Assist

- Bumpers: JCR Offroad front & rear (MI made and top notch)

- Misc:
• "Black Box" electrical system (provided by Djstorm100 on the forum ** he is an awesome guy with great service)
• Big bore master cylinder
• ARB compressor
• Custom rock rails
• Winch (TBD - looking for a deal)
• Custom tunes (sub, components, etc…)
• Simple lighting upgrades (rock lights, headlight conversion, etc….)

While sourcing all of the parts I came across John Williams (Owner of Impulse Offroad).

John is a JKO vendor and has proven to be an invaluable asset in getting things moving. I shared my goals with John and he went to work offering different options, prices and ideas.

Not only does he have the ABSOLUTE BEST PRICES but he is also a great resource to help spec out the best mix of parts.

John has a TON of experience with the JK and is a straight shooter regarding functionality, capability and value.

Please hit him up if you are in the market for parts. You will not be disappointed.

I am not the easiest buyer........(I have a lot of wants and little $):) John has spent hours on the phone with me quoting, refining, and quoting again. His patience and service never wavered.

I ended up buying all of the axles, suspension, steering, etc.. through John.

Timing (I have never seen anyone achieve their expected timing):shaking::

90% of the parts arrived today. So most of what is left is just labor.:thefinger:

I plan to weigh the Jeep tomorrow and take it under the knife this weekend.

I will be doing all of the install in my garage at home.

- Stage 1 = Suspension & Axles Goal is to be complete by Dec 15

- Stage 2 = Motor Plan to drive/enjoy it for awhile
(will probably tear it down at the end of spring)

- Stage 3 = Cage Cage work will be done next summer

I will make updates as often as possible.

I’m sure I will be asking the JKO community for some insights along the way.

The purpose of this thread is to document progress, give credit to anyone that helps, and provide some tech.

Stay tuned……………….

See less See more
#5 ·
Can't wait to see this come together :bounce: best of luck to you:beer:

#6 · (Edited)
Last night was anti-climactic.

Parts arrived and went to a friends shop to pick them up after work.

This skid wieghs 1,300 lbs and is 8' long.

I took the rims/tires home but there was no good way to get the crate in the back of the truck or unload once I got it to my garage.

I will go back with a trailer today.

#7 · (Edited)
Nice choice on the JCR Offroad bumpers!! They're a great group of guys, they used my JKU to prototype some rock sliders! Even though your making custom you should check them out! Their quality is second to none!! Look forward to watching your build! Sounds awesome.:beer:

Here's a link to their rock sliders:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59549&page=9

#8 · (Edited)
They seem like a great product and the customer service has been top notch.

I recieved them bare and opted to paint them over powder coat. I used the POR15 4 step process:

- Marine Clean (degreases and cleans)
- Prep & Ready (etches and leaves a zinc coating)
- Paint with POR15
- Top Coat (I used Rustoleum Hammered black)

The decision to paint over powder was based upon my ability to touch up - they WILL get scratched.

This was my first real experience with POR15. MI winters are hard on vehicles. I want to make this thing as rust proof as possible.

I will get some pictures of the bumpers later.

I got early versions of the bumpers when the tire carriers were not available.

I have the Summit Machine spindle kit that I will use to fab a carrier:

Opted to integrate the carrier into the tailgate to avoid the latch. Will be using this kit. (this is not my bumper, just for reference):

I will write up the fab and install when the time comes.

#12 ·
Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Does anyone know if I can use a Flashpaq 3875 with a Hemi swap?

I need to buy a calibration tool and would like to have the performance adder of the flashpaq between now and when the motor is finished.

If there is risk to the Hemi program I will just buy a pro-cal.

#13 ·
I LOL'ED when I read "budget, not rich" and then Atlas, tera 1 tons, hemi, etc. I can't wait til my rubi is paid off so I can throw some junkyard 1tons, sawzall mods, and 42s all without flipping through a catalog, hopefully. Nevertheless very nice parts and will be a sweet crawler. The old YJ was much cooler imo though.

#16 ·
I dont know if STRICT BUDGET is the proper term, but hey I guess its all relative ! and this is the way we would all love to build our rigs... spend a ton on some quality new parts and then put them on ourselves !!! what fun and how rewarding is it to tell someone what you want and then pick it up a few weeks later all done ??? BOOOO

this is awesome ! subscribed !
I don't want to turn this thread into a debate over $.

Here are 2 perspectives on "STRICT BUDGET":

1. I owned that YJ since it was new and did 100% of the fab work.

100's of hours of fab, frustration and pleasure. Over time I modified, re-modified, and re-re-modified as my budget allowed. Did I end up with a great Jeep? YES Was it a painful road getting there? YES.

The approach to the JK build is kind of a dream come true. I have never been the guy that just bought the high $ parts. I have always worked every angle and cut little corners to get close to what I wanted. Never exactly......but close.

I sold 2 vehicles and a trailer to allow myself to do it different this time. The money from those sales is my budget. Yes, it is a decent amount of coin.....but it is strict and it is what I have to work with.

2. After selling everything I went to the dealer to buy a new Rubicon. I was there on a Friday, worked out a great price, put together a purchase agreement and decided to take the weekend to make sure this was the right decision.

During the weekend I re-worked my planning file and realized I could never afford to make that Rubicon what I wanted.

I also realized that I could take the same $ as it would take to buy a stock Rubi and build exactly what I wanted.

The cost to build this Jeep is within $1K of what it would have cost me to drive the new Rubicon off the lot that day.

The only reason I even mentioned "budget" in my first post is because I want people to see that you can get for your $ as long as you are willing to be thrifty in your spending and put in your own labor. I searched and searched and finally got tired of seeing such high price tags on used Jeeps. I can build this Jeep (less motor) for less than what the market rate is on a LIGHTLY modified Rubicon.

For all you haters talking about sawsalls and catalogues ---- it is not about how much money you spend it is about how you use your Jeep. I am from the southeast and most of my friends still live there. We wheel Harlan, Coal Creek, and Daniel Boone + an annual trip to Moab. All of my buddies have rigs built to the level of my old YJ. I was not going to buy a JK to show up and just watch them wheel. This rig is being built so that I can wheel whatever I want and drive it home.

How about some tech? Can anyone answer my question on the Flashpaq?

#15 ·
"Though this is a relatively extensive build I will be doing it on a STRICT BUDGET. Like most of us, I do not have the resources to drop this off at a shop – write a check – and pick it up 2 weeks later. I’m not knocking the turn key buyers, I wish I could do the same. My intentions is to produce a Jeep of the highest quality, capability and reliability without the $60K price tag."

I dont know if STRICT BUDGET is the proper term, but hey I guess its all relative ! and this is the way we would all love to build our rigs... spend a ton on some quality new parts and then put them on ourselves !!! what fun and how rewarding is it to tell someone what you want and then pick it up a few weeks later all done ??? BOOOO

this is awesome ! subscribed !

#19 ·
I needed a couple replacement center caps for my wheels so I headed over to AEV during lunch.

I don't really have any AEV parts (other than my rims) and the prices are high for my appetitie but I was very impressed.

The guys there went out of their way to show me around the shop and the service was top notch.

The quantity and quality of their builds was shocking. They average more than 2 Hemi conversions per week.

The facility is pretty awesome as well. Spotless, proffesional, and well equipped.

#20 ·
I posted up a question about packaging an 8274 in my JCR front bumper.

I know its not a bolt in but was curious of any others that might have modified a "standard" winch bumper to work with the big Warn??

Any ideas?

Anyway....... I had some logistics challenges last week and just got all of the parts in my garage yesterday.

I felt like Indiana Jones opening the arch

It feels like the calm before the storm.

I am gone this week for the holiday and have the need to get these under the Jeep hanging over me.

#21 ·
Very nice build so far. I had the same goal when I did my JK. I have another rig that is very trail focused and love it but there is something about being able to drive to the trail in comfort, wheel all day and drive back home. I also use my JK for daily commuting. Good choice on the x model too, saves you from pulling all the Rubicon stuff you would be replacing anyways. Looking forward to watching this build :beer:

#23 ·
I sold off a similar setup, truck, trailer & built YJ a few years ago and got my JK. Got tired of messing with the tow rig & trailer, both eating cash I wanted to spend on the rig. So far this has worked out well, the JK can do any trail I'd ever done with the old rig. Look forward to watching this build unfold.

#24 ·
I was just baggin' on you man. I'm definitely looking forward to the build. In my opinion, I wouldnt go with the 37 KM2's. Measure them, i bet you'll find they're barely 36 inches tall. Mine have about 1/2 tread life left and are 35s now. They're a nice tire, but I honestly wouldnt buy another set, mainly due to them not being even remotely true to size. Not to mention I cut a km2 sidewall on a route that I've done a hundred times with a bunch of different brands and never had issues before. I'd run at least 40s with those tons, atlas, hemi, etc.. You'll find that you get hung up on EVERYTHING and bigger tires really come in handy to help with the breakover angles. What are you thinking about doing as far as the cage? Are you going to fab something yourself, or go with a prefabbed kit from somebody?

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice on the tires. I have the 37's now and plan to stick with them. As cheesey as it sounds I want to use this as my "co-daily driver". I want to keep it small.

The old Jeep had the same wheelbase as the 4 door but sat on 42's and had 22" of clearance at the belly. No breakover issues but was a totally different type of rig.

The next set might be 40's :laughing:

I have a bender, notcher, etc... and will probably do the cage myself (with the help of some friends of course).

Doing cage work is one of my least favorite things to do. It is TIME CONSUMING and DIRTY.

I would really like to find something pre-fabbed but doubt it will happen.

Everything that I have seen is either too expensive or not functional. If anyone has any suggestions please throw them out there.

On a different note, I go out of town today so I have not been able to tear the Jeep down yet. Just trying to knock out as much prep as possible.

I set up the FARMER-FAB paint booth last night and layed down a coat of grey hammered finish on my steering and Anti-Rock parts.

The wife loves the smell that comes with a combination of paint fumes and kerosene exhaust.

#29 ·
Returned last night and ready to get going on the Jeep this week.

Jeep is in for some warranty work. I hope to have it back today. Plan is to have it stripped down and ready for welding by Friday.

I was able to spend some time before I left to get the links put together:

- Anti-sieze
- Greased
- Set to length
- Painted the raw steel portions of the bushings (trying to avoid MI salt/rust like the plague)

I was suprised at how beefy the llinks and joints are on the Teraflex long arm.

For a "catalogue kit" it is stout.

I have ran 1.25" stuff on my previous rig but did not expect it to come in the Tera kit.

#32 ·
Very sexy Teraflex pic:)

Thanks - the quality of the Teraflex parts has really exceeded my expectations.

I just spoke to Chrysler and should have the Jeep back today.

Plan is to pull the axles on Friday night and use Saturday to cut off all of the brackets.

I will post some pictures along the way. THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE ACTION AND LESS WORDS......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.