JKOwners Forum banner

black bear pass, CO

7K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  seer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I did it last yeat. It really is not that bad except for the switchbacks on the down hill side going into Telluride. You will need to make 2 and 3 point turns to get down them.....

#5 ·
Every year they doze it skinnier and skinnier. Rumor has it 40 or so folk have gone off the edge and it is a long way down. Most of the trail is very moderate 4wd, but when you get to the switchbacks going down into Telluride you know you're nowhere near Kansas anymore.

As long as you're out this way, definitely do Poughkeepsie Gulch. It's off of Engineer Pass. If you do make it up the Wall, hang around for an hour or so and watch the show. That obstacle seems to bring out the crazy in most of the visiting Texans.:dustin:

#15 ·
Every year they doze it skinnier and skinnier. Rumor has it 40 or so folk have gone off the edge and it is a long way down. Most of the trail is very moderate 4wd, but when you get to the switchbacks going down into Telluride you know you're nowhere near Kansas anymore.
Last time I went down there we came upon a rollover on Imogene Pass, just as the rescue crews got there. Three people died, one survived. Earlier that year someone slipped off Blackbear, killing two. On the Imogene rollover, it was assumed the vehicle pulled over to let someone else by. The Blackbear rollover was blamed on a rain storm.

As long as you're out this way, definitely do Poughkeepsie Gulch. It's off of Engineer Pass. If you do make it up the Wall, hang around for an hour or so and watch the show. That obstacle seems to bring out the crazy in most of the visiting Texans.:dustin:
One time on Poughkeepsie, we got to the wall and pulled over to scope it out. As we were figuring out our lines, a couple four wheelers approached. The first one ran the wall right were we were standing. We grabbed the front of the four wheeler just as it was starting to roll. We were able to drag him to the top. His buddy, watching this, decides to try a different wall, not near us. He gets 1/2 way up, and rolls his four wheeler. Unfortunately, it rolled back onto its wheels. The four wheeler then takes off on its own back down the hill, fast! Luckily for him, the four wheeler stopped when it hit the front of my wife's XJ. At least I ended up with an ARB front bumper for the XJ after the insurance companies settled!

And yes, the four wheelers were from Texas :D

peter

#6 ·
I did it about six years ago. What made my trip even more memorable was that I had my clutch linkage break on my CJ7 just after starting down. Had to stop at each turn to put it into reverse or forward and then start it in gear. Made for an exiting trip.

#12 ·
Went (riding with a buddy) down it in 2004. I didn't think it was that bad... but again I wasn't driving and we were following an XJ driven by someone who had been down it a couple of times. So with a good spotter on the switchbacks it is not that bad. Yeah, you have to make 3 and 4 point turns, so a steady foot on the clutch is a good thing. But the scenery is worth the pucker. Take a camera and take lots of pictures.

#14 ·
Last year we couldn't get through until the first of July. And then they finally drove snow cutters through them because the Jeep tours and Jeep rental companies were losing so much money. Let me know when you're coming down. That is if you don't mind yokel form the area riding along.

#17 ·
Probably a lot of "Texans" that think y'all are Freakin Krazy. I love a good "pucker" as much as any wheeler, the feeling of one wheel in the air, etc...But those pics (especially the old Warn blk & wht) are too much. I'll wheel just about anywhere for some good scenery and companionship, but that ledge looks like zero room for error (driver or mechanical). If you go over the edge, try to land on your enormous nutz to cushion the fall.

For real- Stay safe and take some video or pics if able. :)

#21 ·
I guess turning around at the top to come back down is what scares people the most. I would do lions back before black bear pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.