JKOwners Forum banner

AEV Heat Reduction Hood

15K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  b1pig 
#1 ·
I just did a trial fit of my AEV Hood. Install is simple - get someone to help you lift the hood in to place. I'll now take it to my local body shop and get it painted.

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely looks like it will work with vents, and It just might "not" floop around like most of ours do at 65 mph. :eek: Looks good,

#7 ·
So is it running cooler? Is that a mesh on top in the swail or is that a water collection location?

I know mine ruins much cooler without the wheel well trim but that also allows too much debris into the engine compartment.

Oh and does it flop about in the wind?

#8 ·
I don't know about running cooler as I didn't take any measurements before or after install. I do see gobs of 'heat shimmer' escaping.

It's a mesh on top. I too cut out the inner fender liners. As I hardly ever see anything other than Sierra dirt or Mojave dirt, I'm not to worried about mud etc.

Flop around - not that I've seen. It's on pretty tight.

Andy

#12 ·
How did the paint look. I have a black 2008 Unlimited and want to install the AEV heat redution hood but I am concerned about paint matching. Did you have any problems? The photos look great but it is hard to tell online.
Paint matching won't have anything to do with AEV. They ship them in primer. The matching will have to do with the skill or the painter and the quality of the paint they use. Just take it to a reputable paint shop and they should be able to match it no problem. Black is pretty easy to match.

#16 · (Edited)
I like it... Does it let much water in? I have a CAI until a plastic snorkel comes out...

Is the primer a flat black? if I got one I would be tempted to leave it black on my silver X
Yes, it's effectively a big hole above the gap between the engine and radiator.

I have an AEM dryflow and have no probs with water.

The Primer is semi-flat (mostly flat) ecoat primer. But it does need to be finished. Shipping will wear through the coating in places.

Andy

#18 ·
When on the road the airflow will keep any signficant water from entering. The center vent outflows air plus water won't be collecting while you are moving down the road.

When parked, any water collected simply drains straight to the ground between the engine and the fan/rad. But the engine compartment is not exactly designed to be a water tight environment. Water is introduced in significant amounts on a stock vehicle any way. One of a hood's last purposes is keeping water from the engine bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.