JKOwners Forum banner

Install help for teraflex bumpers/winch

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  axsys 
#1 ·
So this is just a matter of opinion; I'm new to jeepin and I'm also pretty inexperienced with working on cars in general. I'd like to get teraflex bumpers on the front and rear and install a winch, but i don't feel like paying $700 to get it installed. Any help/advice?

#2 · (Edited)
All you really need is a basic set of wrenches and sockets. If you want, i can help you install them and show you some basic stuff. The hardest part is wiring the winch, which is still relatively easy.

#28 ·
Electricians in the house?

Im in - I need to install:
Superflux Super white LED - Rocklights + 3 way switch (On, Off, & Alarm)
White LED - Under dash courtesy lights (tied into dome lights)
White LED - Under hood light + Switch
Blue LED - Accent lighting + Switch (Depending on how it looks)
Market Light Mod
Evap Skid

Are there any Electricians in the house?

#8 · (Edited)
heck yea, ive got a pool and a grill plus all the tools so i could host it.

#10 · (Edited)
If it fits my schedule, I am in too... I have a list of installs and work to do that just keeps growing... Including: adjust rear track bar, install both front and rear driveshafts, relocate and install new evap can and some gen maint...

Oh yeah, and maybe hydro assist steering depending on a couple of things... :D

#13 · (Edited)
geez i might have to hire a F1 pit crew to help everyone install this stuff lol. JK Inferno, when do you think you will have your bumpers and winch?

#15 · (Edited)
I've got it on a DVD, I can burn you a copy of it.

#18 ·
Hey Cam and Dave:
I talked to Joe about the rear passenger spring rubbing on the trackbar and he said it was from the spring undergoing a S-Bend and that we needed to relocate the coil pads back to the top of the axle. I dont know how that would help tho, since we allready reccessed the spring in the coil perch on the axle so it sits correctly. And I dont think eliminating the spacer would help, since almost all of my trackbar/spring wear was completely before I added my coil spacer...? Anyone have any ideas on this or maybe I should post this in the modified tech thread?

#20 · (Edited)
Scott, when you change your rear pinion angle, the mounts on the axle that the bottom of your rear springs sit on rotate more toward the back of the jeep. Therefor, your spring sits a little bit further back than it normally would. Check out this entire thread and all the pictures:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=96179

I would start by ordering a set of the wedges, because the next step is to cut off the mounts on your axle and either weld new ones on or get the JKS ones:

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SPRINGMOUNTS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

BTW, If you do, order a set for me as well and I'll pay you back for them.

#23 ·
Scott, I would get the wedges for sure. Either that, or do it right and cut yoru perches like Cam said. Adjusting your CA's is going to roll you axle and mess with your driveline. You want to keep your angles right first and foremost. The greater the lift, the more the axle has to roll to keep your pinion angle correct. So, when you go real big you have to rotate the spring perches back by themselves. I hear those wedges work well, and stay seated with no problems though...

#24 · (Edited)
Thats interesting, but Im wondering if they were set right from the beginning. I still wondering why Joe from teraflex would reccommend that if he didnt supect something wrong with it in the first place. Maybe I should bring it to desert rat and have them look at it since they installed the majority of the lift and set up my driveline...? The perchers tho, do look nice, but I want to make sure everything in correct placement before going that route. Plus those perches add another 1/2" to 1" more in suspension height which I want to try and avoid....

#32 · (Edited)
Sweet

Did anyone decide when the wrenching would take place?
I need to pick up some wire and switches.
Can you recommend/suggest what gauge?

EDIT: Here are my LED's and the switches are on their way.
10 white, 10 blue, & 4 superflux
You don't need a very big gauge for LEDS, I would try to find somethin around 20 or 22 and you should be fine.

No date set on the install yet, still waitin for JK Inferno's bumpers to come in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.